Skylane Checkout

OK, how about this:

I know, I know. One CFI put it even more succinctly: "Make it look right." That's how I am in the 150 and 172. But I still think that in the beginning it is helpful to have some general MP/RPM settings on base and final. It is hard when you are just thinking "reduce power a bit."

So what I'm up to now is thinking, simply, 20 inches once I've turned on downwind. Abeam the numbers, 15 inches, prop forward, and flaps 10, to stabilize at about 85 and a gradual descent.

Now, I can leave the prop alone, and just "fly" the throttle.

Base, 12 inches and flaps 20, airspeed 80 (trim should not need to be adjusted much because I should be descending at the same rate, but slower).

Final, power nearly all the way back, full flaps, airpseed 70-75 kts. Trim. Fly it like you would a Skyhawk, power-off.

Sound like a good starting point?

[ QUOTE ]
You know the best thing that helped me out with pitches, power settings, etc was some advice from a UPS 747 captain.

"Do whatever it takes to get the airplane to do what you want it to do".

Being a former Riddle student, I was almost obsessed with power settings, manifold pressures and pitch settings to get specific performance out of the aircraft.

Once I "freed" myself from expecting a generic pitch/power setting my flying improved 8-fold.

Cruise power in an -88? I have no idea. Stabilized approach with gear down and flaps 40? No idea.

Concentrate on being proactive and putting it where it needs to be for your desired performance and you'll be a'ok fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, Alchemy. Are these numbers for the R? I'm flying the S. What's the MTOW on your 'Lane?

[ QUOTE ]
In the skylane I use 17" MP on downwind. This usually gives me somewhere around 110 knots. Abeam the numbers I pull the power to 15" and apply 10 degrees of flaps. I turn base and reduce power as needed to get 500 FPM and within the white arc so I can put the flaps at 20 degrees (usually around 13" mp). Now I turn the carb heat on and add a little bit of power to compensate. Turning final I put the flaps to 30 and adjust the power as necessary to mantain 70 KIAS until over the threshold. I will put in 40 degrees of flaps at maintain 63 KIAS for a short field landing. Over the threshold I pull the throttle to idle and flare. Sometimes I add an inch of MP just before touchdown if I think I'm sinking too fast.

It's pretty important not to raise the nose too high or you'll sink like a rock (region of reverse command). On the other hand you don't want the nosewheel to touch down first. Find that sweet angle of attack and you'll touch down like a feather on the mains.

When I have an electric trim availabe, I hold my finger on the up elevator trim continuously during the flare until touchdown. It's not uncommon for me to reach the limits of the yoke's motion during the flare if the airplane isn't trimmed properly on final.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
How did I teach you?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I recall, we didn't mess with the prop in the pattern, left it full-forward--and we didn't land with more than Flaps 20 due to the forward CG, to minimize the downward pitch and help keep the nose up (although I think that was my doing, rather than something you taught). I also remember the throttle coming full out just before the threshold rather than making power-on landings (that may have been a function of our altitude at that point, I don't remember.)

I fly a 1978 182RG with an MTOW of 3100 pounds. I put the prop control to full forward on downwind abeam midfield (when I do my BCGUMPSL check) and leave it there for the rest of the approach. For pattern work it stays at full forward the whole time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How did I teach you?

[/ QUOTE ]

As I recall, we didn't mess with the prop in the pattern, left it full-forward--and we didn't land with more than Flaps 20 due to the forward CG, to minimize the downward pitch and help keep the nose up (although I think that was my doing, rather than something you taught). I also remember the throttle coming full out just before the threshold rather than making power-on landings (that may have been a function of our altitude at that point, I don't remember.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...OK. Usually I back the prop off shortly after takeoff, but maybe we didn't that day. I don't remember, but in every other plane I've flown with a constant speed prop, I'll roll it back a bit after takeoff.

I think the 20 flaps were your doing. I usually use full flaps unless it's very windy.

I almost always pull the power out shortly before crossing the threshold. I don't like power-on landings as you tend to float more.

In the skylane (at least the one I fly) prop full forward only gives you 2400 rpm, which is well under redline.

In the only other airplane with a constant speed prop I've flown (PA34 seneca), full forward prop control gives you 2700 rpm, which is redline. In that plane we always bought the prop down to 2500 rpm at 500 feet.

Thanks, Alchemy. The MTOW ot the S is the same. BTW, the Max landing weight is 2950. I noticed that for some of the older models, the Max landing is the same as the MTOW.

[ QUOTE ]
I fly a 1978 182RG with an MTOW of 3100 pounds. I put the prop control to full forward on downwind abeam midfield (when I do my BCGUMPSL check) and leave it there for the rest of the approach. For pattern work it stays at full forward the whole time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterday we were unscrewing the prop control two twists at about 300' AGL for about 2300. I noticed that on the takeoff roll, the RPM was just a hair above redline.

[ QUOTE ]
In the skylane (at least the one I fly) prop full forward only gives you 2400 rpm, which is well under redline.

In the only other airplane with a constant speed prop I've flown (PA34 seneca), full forward prop control gives you 2700 rpm, which is redline. In that plane we always bought the prop down to 2500 rpm at 500 feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 182RG, you could get by without ever touching the prop control for most flights, since the cruise checlist states that you should have it set between 2100 and 2400 rpm for cruise. At full forward it won't do more than 2400 rpm unless you're in a dive. I usually bring the prop down to 2250-2350 in cruise just for noise and fuel effeciency. The only time where I really pull it back is when I'm slowing down to maneuvering speed for a ground reference or performance maneuver. Otherwise the prop control really doesn't get touched an awful lot....it stays full forward for climb out and can stay that way for cruise if you want.

Back