Skylane Checkout/HP Signoff Complete

DrBenny

Thanks to the people who helped me formulate power/prop/flap settings. I finally just took a piece of paper and drew the traffic pattern and put in all the settings at the various locations. I also memorized (not just studied) the flight school SOPs for the stalls, steep turns, and slow flight. In two words, it helped.

The big thing I learned about the stalls, slow flight, and steep turns these two lessons is that the 182S is heavy, and a bit slower to respond than the 172 (duh!), so you have to be more proactive; but you do NOT noeed to be aggressive.

For the maneuvers, it was very helpful having everything memorized the way they teach it. Their SOPs work well, and they aren't overly complicated.

For the traffic pattern and landing, all those settings worked like a charm. The best deal was to be at 17 inches at TPA, and trimmed out nice and good. I would see about 90 kts like this. As I went through the rest of the landing, almost no trim changes were required and the plane flew very stably with very little fuss. For those who care, this is what I did:

Abeam numbers: 15 inches, prop forward, flaps 10;
Base: 12 inches, flaps 20;
Final: power as required, flaps 30, 70 kts and 500 fpm descent.

I forgot who suggested it (one of the CFIs here who often teach in Skylanes), but two points were especially helpful here: 1) Flying final at 70 kts ensured an organized, buisinesslike transition from short final, to flare, to touchdown. That, alone, solved the monkeying around with the power that I had trouble with in the first few landings of the last lesson. 2) The plane SEEMS to want to land a bit nose high, but this is just because the cowling is different from the 172s. My CFI for the day agreed with this, and I just made myself adapt to the slightly different sight picture.

Since things were so stable, every landing was good to very good. Some of that is due to my practice and preparation, and some of that is due to the fact that the Skylane is a pussycat to land.

I LOVE THIS PLANE!

[ QUOTE ]
so you have to be more proactive; but you do NOT need to be aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Good job!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
2) The plane SEEMS to want to land a bit nose high, but this is just because the cowling is different from the 172s.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience instructing in a 182S and 182RG, people tend to land it flat because its relatively nose-heavy. I don't think I've ever had anyone land it way nose-high. I think its just a "visual" thing. Just my observation.

It is a nice flying airplane, for sure!

A guy at my flight school landed a new 182 sufficiently nose-high to peel off the tail tiedown ring. So it is possible ... but I always tended to land them flatter than the 172s.

FL270

For me, I've been looking forward to the signoff. The school where I rent has two 182Ss and they aren't as "busy" as the 172s. Plus, if you don't fill them to the tabs, you truly have a four-place aircraft that flies reasonable fast!

[ QUOTE ]
A guy at my flight school landed a new 182 sufficiently nose-high to peel off the tail tiedown ring. So it is possible ... but I always tended to land them flatter than the 172s.

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder how the heck that happened!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2) The plane SEEMS to want to land a bit nose high, but this is just because the cowling is different from the 172s.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience instructing in a 182S and 182RG, people tend to land it flat because its relatively nose-heavy. I don't think I've ever had anyone land it way nose-high. I think its just a "visual" thing. Just my observation.

It is a nice flying airplane, for sure!

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you might have been the one who pointed out the higher nose attitude to me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
so you have to be more proactive; but you do NOT need to be aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

Good job!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you! I really like the plane--a real pussycat!

[ QUOTE ]
I think you might have been the one who pointed out the higher nose attitude to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose thats possible. I guess I just remember more instances of taking the controls because of flat flares than nose high ones. I haven't flown a 182 in about six months.

Glad to hear it is all working out for you. I think it was me who mentioned the 70 on final. It just feels right for that airplane.... keeps the nose down and yet it is easy to rid the airplane of that airspeed once you enter your roundout.

Back