SIU current students and alumni!

r_heim21

Im really interested in getting my aviation degree from there (i want to be a pilot). Can you tell me what it is like? The pros and cons of the aviation program and school, what there is to do for fun, and how friendly the people are? thanks so much :)

I was a dual major there quite awhile ago. Maybe triple major is more accurate.

I started in flight and AV Mgmt, then added maintenance as I already had my airframe and General license from my Navy time.

Same idea, really wanted to fly, ever since my first lesson in 1986 :)

I was offered a Co-op position with McDonnell-Douglas after my first year. It was three semesters, every other semester and paid (if you could call it pay) and provided housing. At that point I had a decision to make, take the co-op or continue with flight. Because of my personal situation at the time, I took the co-op offer. I accelerated my degree, finished the in 2.5 years and got an offer from McDonnell-Douglas

I spent 16 years there and Boeing after the merger, and the last few years at GE Aviation. I've had a good career run, lived all over the world, ran some interesting programs and met some great people.

I'm back flying now as the wife says I can have a third career in the near future.

Oh, and I have one of those BS in Aviation Management degrees some will tell you won't get you anywhere.

It's about you, not the degree.

awesome! That is so great to hear :) Im very excited to start a career in aviation. Thanks for the info!

I did my flight training in high school and then worked as a part-time CFI here while getting the AVM degree. A flight program is a flight program (or an FBO) and it really doesn't matter in the long run where you go to get your certificates. But I really enjoyed the AVM degree and all of the people in both the AVM and AF departments. Great instructors and professors that know a lot and care about the students. The campus is nice and so is the night-life. I liked it enough down here that after graduating in May with my AVM degree, I came back to Flight Instruct full time for a bit in the AF program. In fact I am typing this from my nice new shiny office in the TEC that is quite nice.

I'm going to have to get down there to see the TEC soon....

Wonder if NewMyer is up for giving a tour....

I graduated there about 10 years ago with a B.S. in aviation flight/management and did all of my flight training there. I thought it was good. I used to hear that it was one of the top 5 flight schools in the nation, not sure what that was based on or if it's still supposed to be in the top few or whatever. But I would recommend it to anyone.

Back