Sinusitis so bad it is killing me! (incapacitating in flight!)

Have you tried nasal/sinus irrigation (saline solution)? It might help, but don't do it if you're going to continue to keep attempting to fly. It could make things significantly worse with pressure changes.

I am on unpaid medical leave right now. Sick time depleted, so now pay at the moment. Plus it is clear since even though infection is cleared up in my head, I still have congestion which is bad for flying with my condition(s). Flying at this time is dangerous to my health along with crew and passengers. So I know better. I will not touch and airplane since that would be dumb. I won't even fly passenger since it can hurt me. FMLA and Short Term Disability were applied for late last week and my PCP already sent in the FMLA stuff and he is awaiting the STD admin to contact them so they can review the case.

As far as meds. Taking no meds and then taking OTC meds that did not work under my AME guidance is what got me in this position as over the last few years this got worse and worse. So I will have to trust the doctors and see what we can do that is FAA approved. I won't follow any online advice here of course since I will stick to the doctors advice, but I appreciate every comment here because it gives me concerns to talk to the docs about when I tell them, "I heard this can cause....." or "I heard that drug can...". So all stories are helpful.

As far as Nasal Rinse. Prior to this I was doing Neil Med Nasal rinse daily for the last 6 month (the standard 8oz with salt packet) along with taking Clartin and using Flonase as needed. That did not work and was my AME's last advise before saying I need to seek serious help and now is time to start documenting and reporting this (for over 2 years I had an AME trying to help me as this got worse and worse).

That said, I am now doing the Neil Med nasal rinse still because even though it did not work over the last 6 months with the OTC stuff. The docs said to keep doing it along with taking the prescribed allergy med Montelukast and Sudafed daily since that combo is the best out there and is FAA approved. The Nasal rinse is also modified with 8oz of distlled water and the salt packet and I also add the following to the water before shooting up each nostril:
50mg of Mupirocin
50mg of Amphotericin B
2ml of Budesonide
10ml of Levofloxacin
All those also FAA approved. This mix is to fight off any possible developing infections from congestion. It leaves an after smell in my nose and slight after taste. Lucky I like Curry since that is what it smells and tastes like afterward for like an hour.

I also been prescribed today Sumatriptan. This is evil and is only to be used if I have a severe migraine attack. I am to only do one squirt up the nostril on the side of head that hurts most and can do it one more time in 2 hours and then no more for 24 hours. I am told this stuff should help me recover from a sudden migraine quicker since my last migraine lasted for 11 plus days (stopped counting at 11 days!). Also after a squirt, per the FAA I am no fly for 24 hours. I have not used it yet since just got it today and no migraine at the moment.

Look into your short term disability benefits and loss of medical benefits at your company. They might be able to get you some income as you sort this thing out.

Look into your short term disability benefits and loss of medical benefits at your company. They might be able to get you some income as you sort this thing out.

Applied for STD and FMLA. I expect that to be approved since it is quite clear I can'y fly at the moment. The issue is I am told my medical insurance will be cut off in 72 days even with FMLA and STD. If that is cut off, not sure what to do. Will figure it out once that occurs as no clear answer yet on that. I don't see why I can't just keep paying the company share out of pocket at that point, but will see how it all pans out. I have a call into HR to discuss that. No call back yet.

I have loss of Medical through ALPA. The loss of medical I think kicks in at the 1 year mark and at that time pays a monthly amount plus a lump sum. Calling ALPA tomorrow to discuss that and to see if I need to inform anyone there on the insurance side of things as it relates to that loss of medical insurance I been paying into.

And technically I still have a 1st Class Medical until the FAA gets wind of all this. Which will not happen until I go back for my 1st Class Medical in November. Until then I am 'self grounded'. When I do my medical, I been told to give all medical records in regard to this condition to the AME and he will issue if he can upon review or will defer to FAA.

If company or STD or anything else gives me an issue, I will take my medical records ASAP to an AME and try to renew my 1st Class. I am pretty sure when they see documented Chronic Sinusitis with Infection and Cluster Headaches both brought on by constant pressure changes from flying with referrals to neurologists and ENT in progress... that would solve any doubt right away. But that will also open up a larger long term headache. So don't want to do that if don't need to. So if company and insurance and such all cooperate, no need to take drastic measures that will cause unnecessary delay of getting back in the air if this is all resolved via a proactive treatment program prior to my 1st Class being up in November.

Oh, and this is the first full day of no headache or chest pains! Only sinus pressure and upper nose congestion and right ear pressure today.

Applied for STD and FMLA. I expect that to be approved since it is quite clear I can'y fly at the moment. The issue is I am told my medical insurance will be cut off in 72 days even with FMLA and STD. If that is cut off, not sure what to do. Will figure it out once that occurs as no clear answer yet on that. I don't see why I can't just keep paying the company share out of pocket at that point, but will see how it all pans out. I have a call into HR to discuss that. No call back yet.

Pretty sure this is covered by COBRA. https://www.dol.gov/sites/default/f...yees-guide-to-health-benefits-under-cobra.pdf

Also, someone mentioned Doxycycline. This you can take for a long time without issue. I have a years supply for Malaria Prophylaxis...

Pretty sure this is covered by COBRA...
COBRA is a transitional plan. It normally lasts up to either 18 or 36 months. The presumption is that you will eventually be covered by a new employer, some sort of disability or Medicare.

Good luck!

I am on unpaid medical leave right now. Sick time depleted, so now pay at the moment. Plus it is clear since even though infection is cleared up in my head, I still have congestion which is bad for flying with my condition(s). Flying at this time is dangerous to my health along with crew and passengers. So I know better. I will not touch and airplane since that would be dumb. I won't even fly passenger since it can hurt me. FMLA and Short Term Disability were applied for late last week and my PCP already sent in the FMLA stuff and he is awaiting the STD admin to contact them so they can review the case.

As far as meds. Taking no meds and then taking OTC meds that did not work under my AME guidance is what got me in this position as over the last few years this got worse and worse. So I will have to trust the doctors and see what we can do that is FAA approved. I won't follow any online advice here of course since I will stick to the doctors advice, but I appreciate every comment here because it gives me concerns to talk to the docs about when I tell them, "I heard this can cause....." or "I heard that drug can...". So all stories are helpful.

As far as Nasal Rinse. Prior to this I was doing Neil Med Nasal rinse daily for the last 6 month (the standard 8oz with salt packet) along with taking Clartin and using Flonase as needed. That did not work and was my AME's last advise before saying I need to seek serious help and now is time to start documenting and reporting this (for over 2 years I had an AME trying to help me as this got worse and worse).

That said, I am now doing the Neil Med nasal rinse still because even though it did not work over the last 6 months with the OTC stuff. The docs said to keep doing it along with taking the prescribed allergy med Montelukast and Sudafed daily since that combo is the best out there and is FAA approved. The Nasal rinse is also modified with 8oz of distlled water and the salt packet and I also add the following to the water before shooting up each nostril:
50mg of Mupirocin
50mg of Amphotericin B
2ml of Budesonide
10ml of Levofloxacin
All those also FAA approved. This mix is to fight off any possible developing infections from congestion. It leaves an after smell in my nose and slight after taste. Lucky I like Curry since that is what it smells and tastes like afterward for like an hour.

I also been prescribed today Sumatriptan. This is evil and is only to be used if I have a severe migraine attack. I am to only do one squirt up the nostril on the side of head that hurts most and can do it one more time in 2 hours and then no more for 24 hours. I am told this stuff should help me recover from a sudden migraine quicker since my last migraine lasted for 11 plus days (stopped counting at 11 days!). Also after a squirt, per the FAA I am no fly for 24 hours. I have not used it yet since just got it today and no migraine at the moment.

Somebody already mentioned deviated septum. You or your Drs. have investigated that, yes?

Have you or any of your Drs. investigated the possibility of a fungal infection? Seems this case might not be the usual suspects.

Something is clearly driving your body to generate that much mucas. But continue to take drugs to cover up the real cause like so many in the medical profession will have you do. Infections are bad and must be dealt with with drugs BUT once over there is some underlying cause of all of this.

Sincerely I wish you luck, I have dealt with the same issue and it was infuriating. Finally I (mostly) quit dairy and my body finally stopped generating so much mucas. No need for surgery (yet) as that again just covers up the issue unless there is a physical deformity (I assume you've investigated this, I believe you mentioned it already). I'm not saying your issue is dairy but there must be an allergen or some other cause you haven't confronted.

IMO.

FYI google Levofloxacin and motor skills.

They put me on that (actually it was Levaquin but I believe the same thing) once for a sinus infection that wouldn't clear up like in your scenario. I took one pill and about an hour later went to close my laptop screen and completely missed it. I had lost my hand eye coordination. I started googling around, low and behold it's a "side effect". Found a case where an Air Canada pilot had lost all hand eye coordination after taking it over a prescription. He never recovered.

I immediately discontinued the drug and went back to amoxicillin.

Be VERY careful with what you are getting in to.

FDA message on Levaquin class drugs:

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is advising that the serious side effects associated with fluoroquinolone antibacterial drugs generally outweigh the benefits for patients with acute sinusitis, acute bronchitis, and uncomplicated urinary tract infections who have other treatment options. For patients with these conditions, fluoroquinolones should be reserved for those who do not have alternative treatment options.

“An FDA safety review has shown that fluoroquinolones when used systemically (i.e. tablets, capsules, and injectable) are associated with disabling and potentially permanent serious side effects that can occur together. These side effects can involve the tendons, muscles, joints, nerves, and central nervous system.”

Says the guy who got cataracts in his 30's most likely attributed to Flonase (lots of past history there).

And I’d do it all over again, too, because it’s still better than the alternative. You can’t even comprehend what it’s lile to live with this condition. So pipe down and let the MDs treat his medical problems.

You can’t even comprehend what it’s lile to live with this condition

Or any condition that'll rob you of your medical.

I lost mine for 2 years after a tech dropped a radar scope, in the tower, on my foot and triggered an odd but debilitating neurological disorder. A tech who admitted his mistake in every piece of my paperwork.

The amount of hoops I had to jump through to get my medical back was mind-boggling, nothing to say of the scrutiny I endured from some fellow controllers. On top of it all I had to sell every worldy belonging to continue to pay my mortgage etc etc etc.... All the while the FAA/OWCP refused my claims.

Since returning (in 2005 after having the non-initiated accident in 2001) I have made it a point to hammer home to anyone new in the career how you need to treat your medical like a gold mine.

You don't know what you have until youve lost it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I’d do it all over again, too, because it’s still better than the alternative. You can’t even comprehend what it’s lile to live with this condition. So pipe down and let the MDs treat his medical problems.
"Let" them treat his condition?

How am I stopping them?

They've done such an awesome job so far!

Been there, bought the t-shirt, still have the head scans in my office. So yes I can comprehend, and even better I know exactly what it's like to get improper, career ending care.

"Better than the alternative". What alternative? Why only a single one?

Many years ago I started running again like I did in high school and collge yet quickly developed pain in my calves. It was debilitating. I stopped and dropped exercising for a decade.

Fed up with being overweight and out of shape, I started up again. Pain came back. Went to a Duke Sports doctor who told me the only solution was to cut/fillet the facia in my legs. The issue was the facia was too thick and my muscles couldn't expand, causing pressure buildup when used.

Luckily around that same time my sim partner was a SEAL or some other elite solider. He had a buddy with the same issue, and the military was doing a study on a dozen guys on why some people got this problem.

The solution? Instead of long strides you are to make quicker, shorter strides to land more on your toes. I was running incorrectly. I used a metronome on my phone to increase the rate. Worked like a charm. No more pain. Times dropped and I was able to consistently go from a 22 min 3 mile to sub 20 minutes. No surgery required.

One solution was free and correctly fixed the overriding problem. The other "alternative" would've fixed the issue but with undue pain and suffering, cost, and downtime of several months. Just like when my neurologist prescribed anti seizure medicine for what turned out to be tight muscle, with the added benefit of forever ending my career as a pilot.

Last edited:
The FDA approves some whacky procedures and compounds that should never be inflicted on a human.

Getting this many doctor opinions will hopefully find the treatment!

How am I stopping them?

You're doing your damnedest to get him to ignore the expert advice of people actually trained in medicine, which you most certainly are not. Frankly, what we need are a few high profile lawsuits against people like you to get you to shut up and stop handing out unlicensed medical advice.

How am I stopping them?

You're doing your damnedest to get him to ignore the expert advice of people actually trained in medicine, which you most certainly are not. Frankly, what we need are a few high profile lawsuits against people like you to get you to shut up and stop handing out unlicensed medical advice.

Ok let’s not crazy ..Everyone is just trying to help ..I’ve posted previously on this ..Hopefully when you see an ENT this will all get sorted .Doctors fail when they they treat symptoms and not the actual patient .
You started out with an acute case of sinusitis caused by god knows what and the situation is now chronic ..Believe me this is not uncommon .Having been down this road myself none of those front line antibiotics for 10 days have worked for me and I don’t think they work that well for most people ..Doctors know that and they want patients to keep coming back to them ..As a pilot this doesn’t work for me ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Now you are threatening a lawsuit against me. You are quite unbelievable. Actually scratch that, it's on par with your online persona.

Back