Single Parent. Am I Crazy?

Am I crazy

• Yes

Votes: 19 79.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters
We're supposed to be going to like a 7 on 7 off type schedule or something like that, next month at Via Airlines. You're home based so we fly you out to wherever we need you. And as of right now we don't believe in reserve. That'll change as the staffing picks up. Don't know if the grands want to watch the kid for 7 days in a row, but that might be a bit more predictable. Just an option.

We're supposed to be going to like a 7 on 7 off type schedule or something like that, next month at Via Airlines. You're home based so we fly you out to wherever we need you. And as of right now we don't believe in reserve. That'll change as the staffing picks up. Don't know if the grands want to watch the kid for 7 days in a row, but that might be a bit more predictable. Just an option.
What's the compensation package look like?

Curious if you figured out a way to make it work? I have a little different situation where my wife takes call at a hospital and I'm trying to figure out options other then a nanny

After many years of writing off the airlines as something I didn't want to do, I have started to rethink that stance. I'm very interested in starting to fly at a regional, but there is a lot I don't understand about the schedule. I thought this would be a better place to get answers (and maybe to be called crazy) then say, talking to a recruiter, although I have done that.

I have a child who is about to turn 5. I am a single parent. The grandparents have offered to help, but I still need to fill in a lot of pieces as to what this would actually look like.

I understand that new hires can expect to be on reserve or "on call" for some time. With more seniority, one can bid bases, lines, and time off. (Stop me if I'm misunderstanding something). When you can bid lines, does that still mean you will be gone for days at a time, or are there lines that take you out and back to your base on the same day? Would the 2-5 day trips be something that goes away after a while or something that I would have for the rest of my career?

Scenario 1: I try to get scheduled for 2 weeks on and 2 off. Child stays with grandparents the entire time I'm on and with me for my block of days off. This would be ok for some time, but obviously not forever, hence my previous question.

Scenario 2: Child stays with me in base. This means when I get a call child has to a babysitter within the hour and may be there for several days. I imagine there are a lot of childcare options available in bases since they are all metros, but this extreme scenario seems like it might be tough. Also, if I were able to find such an arrangement, it could be hard on my child. Child does excellent with different people and babysitters and is used to a lot of this, after having been raised in a single parent home for over 2 years, but even so, this seems like it may be a stretch. I can see this working out would be if the caregiver(s) were literally "like" family.

Has anyone done this? Is it feasible? Is the scheduling and sacrifice of airline flying temporary, or permanent?

I'm a child of a pilot. My dad started flying 121 regional when I was about the age of your kid (and I'm in my 20's now), and was a single Dad. The amount of respect I have for my father, even though he couldn't always be there, is enormous. He, and my grandparents made it work for a long time.

If you have the passion to fly, do it. You'll find ways to make it work and your kid will respect you for that later on.

Curious if you figured out a way to make it work? I have a little different situation where my wife takes call at a hospital and I'm trying to figure out options other then a nanny

So far things have worked out great. Also, so far I have avoided the regionals entirely and maybe always will, that might be part of the reason for the success.

I flew for a 121 cargo op for a year and had a very, very good schedule. Then the domicile closed and I just recently started medevac in order to not move. The key for me was living in a city where I have a good support network. Things could have gotten very difficult and miserable if I would have taken a job that moved me far away where I didn't know anyone.

With the way things are going I have good options that are only getting better and I think in a couple more years I will be able to look into LCC's or better and not set foot in a regional. I know that's not the ideal way to attack the career path, but it's been working excellently for me.

So there is hope! Glad to hear its worked out for you. I was kinda looking at the career paths other then 121 around here thinking the schedules may be better if I ever end up making the switch from my day job.

So far things have worked out great. Also, so far I have avoided the regionals entirely and maybe always will, that might be part of the reason for the success.

I flew for a 121 cargo op for a year and had a very, very good schedule. Then the domicile closed and I just recently started medevac in order to not move. The key for me was living in a city where I have a good support network. Things could have gotten very difficult and miserable if I would have taken a job that moved me far away where I didn't know anyone.

With the way things are going I have good options that are only getting better and I think in a couple more years I will be able to look into LCC's or better and not set foot in a regional. I know that's not the ideal way to attack the career path, but it's been working excellently for me.

Awesome! Glad to hear it!

Back