Singapore-LAX

FlyingDevil

Tomorrow the worlds longest comercial flight will leave LAX at 8am bound for Singapore. The record breaking flight is expected to last 18.5 hours covering just under 8,000 miles. Who in there right mind would travel half way around the world and want be stuck on a plane for 3/4 of the day(18.5hr)? Also how many flight crews do you suspect to be on that flight (I'm guessing 4 crews)?

Later this year Singapore Airlines will be starting Singapore-JFK flights. These flights just blow my mind away. Its amazing what we can do with technology.

Amazing!!

I hear from a Prof on campus that Singapore Airlines is going to do the best they can to make the passengers as comfortable as possible during this trip with things like a passenger lounge, etc.

Under 8,000 miles? The Great Circle mapper says 8,770.

link

That is using the new A340-500 right? Is there anything out there with a range like that? I wonder what the 777-300ER will reach.

Makes you think, what routes and equipment will Doug be flying at age 59?

[ QUOTE ]
Who in there right mind would travel half way around the world and want be stuck on a plane for 3/4 of the day(18.5hr)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would!!!
smile.gif
It's an aviation enthusiast's dream!
cool.gif

Seriously though,what type of aircraft will be utilized on these flights? Also, how far will that JFK-Singapore flight be?

It is an 340-500 there is a guy here in Australia who is flying form Perth to Singapore that morning to get on that flight, when he arrives in LA he is racing up to departures to get back on that aircraft to fly back to Singapore, and then another flight back to Perth - he is flying 47 hours in less then 55 hours.

You guys might remember him from Airline (EasyJet), his name is Luke Chitock he is the one who just gets on airliners for fun. On one 3 week vacation he flew and flew and flew all over the world, and on this vacation he spent 2 nights in a hotel, the rest were on aircraft.

2416043663f4dff73945fd.jpg

Quote from Singapore Airline's Website News Release:

SIA Takes Delivery Of Its First Ultra Long-Haul Aircraft - The SIA A345LeaderShip
2 January 2004

Singapore Airlines (SIA) ushered in 2004 with the arrival of its first ultra long-haul aircraft – the SIA A345LeaderShip – at Singapore Changi Airport today.

The SIA A345LeaderShip will offer the longest non-stop commercial service in the world when it commences operations between Singapore and Los Angeles on 3 February 2004.

“Today is a significant moment for SIA and for international aviation. It marks the beginning of a new long-haul travel experience – one that sets new standards for non-stop travel by offering greater convenience, space, comfort and time-savings for the business traveller and strengthens our Changi hub, ” said Michael Tan, SIA’s Senior Executive Vice-President (Commercial).

The non-stop service to Los Angeles will take 16 hours and the return service from Los Angeles, 18 and a half hours. This is a savings of one and a half to two hours in flying time compared with SIA’s current one-stop flights.

With the launch of the A345LeaderShip Singapore-Los Angeles service, SIA will operate a daily non-stop flight between Singapore and Los Angeles. A similar daily service from Singapore to New York will follow in the middle of 2004, which will take 18 hours in each direction, reducing travel time from New York to Singapore by two hours and from Singapore to New York, by six hours.

SIA’s A345LeaderShip will feature the world’s first long-haul all premium configuration with just 181 seats in a spacious two-class configuration comprising an enhanced Raffles (business) Class and a new Executive Economy Class.

The A345LeaderShip Raffles Class will feature 64 of SIA’s latest lie-flat SpaceBed in a 2-2-2 layout, and with a larger seat pitch of 64”.

The SpaceBed offers a bed width of 26” and a length of 78”, as well as an adjustable headrest, leg-rest and lumbar support. The 10.4” personal video monitor will enable customers to enjoy SIA’s comprehensive in-flight entertainment in style. And an AC power supply outlet and DVD port at every seat will expand the customer’s in-flight activity options.

The A345Leadership Executive Economy Class, designed in a very spacious 2-3-2 configuration, will offer the industry’s widest economy class seats at 20”. The seats also come with a larger personal monitor at 9", and a laptop power supply.

Designed to keep globetrotters comfortable throughout the unprecedented 16 to 18 and a half-hour flight between Singapore and Los Angeles, the Executive Economy seats feature an expanded seat pitch of 37”, a seat-back recline of 8”, a leather adjustable headrest, and extended leg and foot rests. AC power supply outlets are also available in the seats, enabling customers to power their laptops throughout the flight.

Both new cabins feature specially designed areas for passengers to socialize and stretch their legs.

The A345LeaderShip is the first new aircraft type to join the SIA fleet since 1997, when the Airline took delivery of its first Boeing 777. SIA placed its order for 10 A340-500s in 1998 with five on firm order and five on option. The order was worth US$2.2 billion, including the cost of spares and spare engines. The A345 will be powered by four Rolls Royce Trent 553 engines.

As at 1 January 2004, SIA’s operating fleet consisted of 82 aircraft comprising 30 B747s, 51 B777s and 1 A345.

I recently flew on the first A340-600 flight from Johannesburg to Atlanta on South African Airways. We pushed back at 8:05pm and blocked in at 8:40am. Thats 19.5 hours including the 1 hr refueling stop in Sal. We had to stay on board the whole time. Brutal, but the A340-600 is a nice, quiet airplane, and the price was right (free).

I did LAX-SYD, which including stop in NZ was certainly well up there. But at the stop in NZ, I got off, had a shower in Qantas Club, checked my email, surfed the net, had some breakfast, etc. It was really not too bad.

[ QUOTE ]
I did LAX-SYD, which including stop in NZ was certainly well up there. But at the stop in NZ, I got off, had a shower in Qantas Club, checked my email, surfed the net, had some breakfast, etc. It was really not too bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang Iain!! Do you have the special Frequent Flyer card or something? I went JFK-LAX-AUK-Birsbane. That was a fun day of traveling!(Or was it 2 because of the date line?)

Longest leg I every rode commercial was JFK - JED (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia). Ouch. Something like 11.5 - 12 hours. Don't remember exactly, and don't really want to remember, either.
smile.gif

edit: the flight is currently listed as 11 hours, 20 minutes, and the return JED - JFK is 13 hours, 10 minutes. I think I did both directions, but that was like 20 years ago and the memory ain't what it used to be....
B747

My longest leg was IAH-LGW on the DC-10 on Continental back in '98 ... at least that was the longest distance-wise. Flight time was about 8+20. My longest duration flight was CDG-PIT on a US 767 in '00 ... had a wicked headwind and the enroute time was 8+35.

FL270

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

LAX - SIN is 8760 miles
LHR - SIN is 6760 miles

weird.

I did LAX-SIN the hard way this summer (stopped for an hour in NRT) but it was in business, and they have really cool beer machines in NRT, so not so hard. If Sing Air didn't have the fancy coach class for this route, I think I'd rather pull my fingernails out than be stuck in that tiny seat for so long.

I flew FCO-JFK last month. The air time was 10 hours, but I was on the plane for about 11. Considering the fact that I couldnt see the TV screen, and I wasnt allowed to use my CD player, this flight took FOREVER!

In April when I need to go back to Australia I have several flights to choose from....

What I'd like to do is fly out of SFO on U N I T E D to SYD nonstop, or on Air New Zealand via Auckland to SYD. On the way back it would be awesome if I could do SYD - Singapore - LAX on the Singapore Airlines A340-500
grin.gif
.....I think the prices are around the same either way I decide to do it, however the most likely way I'll do it is on U N I T E D SFO - SYD - SFO or Qantas LAX - SYD - LAX. Though, the Singapore Airlines A340-500 is a slight possibility......

Travel should be arranged in a few weeks....decisions, decisions....hard to make....can not wait until my trip/s are booked!!!!
cool.gif

Oh, and one other flight that I will be booking is from SYD - Brisbane - SYD on a Qantas 747-300 there and a new A330-200 on the way back
grin.gif
Gotta fly on a jumbo classic at least once before they are retired.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and one other flight that I will be booking is from SYD - Brisbane - SYD on a Qantas 747-300 there and a new A330-200 on the way back
grin.gif
Gotta fly on a jumbo classic at least once before they are retired.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A 747 from Brisbane to Sydney?? I only got to fly a 737!!
shocked.gif

Back