Since the airlines might actually hire over the next decade..........

Hootie

Old Skool
I forget, are you supposed to wear a black suit or dark navy suit or is either okay? And no red ties correct? Or was that just Salomon Brothers?

I wore a off black pinstripe suit, blueish shirt, red tie... Worked out good for me... I think if you are interviewing you should just look good and profecional. (and don't do or say anything stupid during the interview)

Dark charcoal (almost black) suit with a red tie. Dark Navy works just as well. Nothing too far from the norm...two button Gordon is the way to go. It's worked at my 3 airline interviews. Just make sure whatever you wear fits properly and isn't cheap looking.

At Southernjets, you want to look like a Republican investment banker who attends UGA football games on Saturdays in AHN.

Dark charcoal (almost black) suit with a red tie. Dark Navy works just as well. Nothing too far from the norm...two button Gordon is the way to go. It's worked at my 3 airline interviews. Just make sure whatever you wear fits properly and isn't cheap looking.

At Southernjets, you want to look like a Republican investment banker who attends UGA football games on Saturdays in AHN.

Delta actually requires a specific suit/shirt/tie color.

Cav's advice is best for just about any interview, but especially an airline pilot interview. Either charcoal or navy blue (not too light of a navy), white shirt, red or yellow tie (think Reagan/Clinton power tie), socks that match the trousers, and conservative lace up dress shoes. Avoid cuff links, because they're too flashy for an interview. Make sure you have the collar stays in the collar to keep it looking sharp, and have everything pressed neatly with the shirt starched. Windsor knot on the tie is best, but half windsor also works. Just avoid the four-in-hand knot, as it looks lazy and sloppy.

Some people will tell you that this stuff isn't that important. Those are the people who may lose an opportunity on a great job just because they were too lazy or cheap to dress the part. Just follow the formula and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: Cav
Also... get a haircut, and a nice close shave. SMILE! And keep smiling. Make them know you want the job.

In my only ever airline interview, I wore a navy suite, white shirt and red tie. I have nice and shinny Cole Haan lace ups just for important events like these.

I forget, are you supposed to wear a black suit or dark navy suit or is either okay? And no red ties correct? Or was that just Salomon Brothers?

Both are okay but I wouldn't recommend a bright colored tie. I've got the job for all of my airline interviews and I wore a black suit, conservative colored tie and shiny shoes.

You might run into an interviewer at a major or large corporate flight department who won't like the black suit. It's considered "too strong." Invest in a nice dark navy or charcoal suit. It's worth the expense.

Windsor knot on the tie is best, but half windsor also works. Just avoid the four-in-hand knot, as it looks lazy and sloppy.

Good call on the Windsor v. four-in-hand. I was guilty of tieing it for years but finally saw the light.

You might run into an interviewer at a major or large corporate flight department who won't like the black suit. It's considered "too strong." Invest in a nice dark navy or charcoal suit. It's worth the expense.

A black suit isn't a business suit. It's an evening or formal wear piece.

Get an an above avg charcoal 2 button Gordon, a black Brooks Brothers belt with a gold buckle, and a black pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and you'll be set for every business/social setting you encounter for as many years as you can make the pieces last. They are all timeless pieces.

For my Southernjets interview I wore the 1991 version of this suit with this tie.

The captain who interviewed me actually commented on my attire:

Him: "You obviously don't believe in the "blue-suit-red-tie" gouge?

Me: "No, I think as long as I look professional it doesn't matter."

Him: "We always laugh at how every interviewee shows up looking like a clone..."

I got hired...

They don't care what color your suit and tie is (within limits, i.e. no disco oufits or leisure suits) as long as you look sharp!

Kevin

Wait, so I shouldn't wear a black suit, white shirt and hold tie to a DAL interview ?!?

:)

I'll add, if your suit has a flashy liner, or vest (usually) or a fancy "European" cut odds are its an evening suit made for night formal wear.

I've got a suit that I love, but I would never wear it to an interview.

It's never a bad idea to pick a color that is close to the uniform color of that airline. I'd be inclined to go navy for usairways etc, charcoal or pinstripe for cal/ual, DAL.

I don't know if I'd go bright blue TSA color for JetBlue, but virgin and JetBlue would prob get me to wear more "fashion" colors, and be a bit less conservative.

Almost everyone at my Blue juice interview had the same look. Dark suit with a blue tie. I was one of the few who went different. Charcoal suit, white shirt with a yellow/canary colored tie. Wanted to stand out but not over do it. Shoes are what make a man in my opinion. Don't rock the Dockers to an interview. Head to the Men's department at any nice store(Macy's, Bloomingdales, etc.) and get a nice pair of laced up shoes.

At my QX interview...I went with my black Kenneth Cole 2-button suit, light green Banana Republic shirt and a black tie with shinned Kenneth Cole slip on's.

Our head of HR at the time said it stood out to her, just enough to be different...not the power suit/power tie combo.

The Virgin America interview, they ask you to come business casual....for what it's worth.

And do your networking EARLY. Don't be one of those dudes that hears that Jet Blue is going to hire and then you call your JB friends the same day.

When the window opens, be one of those guys that are already on the short-list.

And do your networking EARLY. Don't be one of those dudes that hears that Jet Blue is going to hire and then you call your JB friends the same day.

When the window opens, be one of those guys that are already on the short-list.

Hey Derg, I lookz good in a Double Breasted jacket...can I haz jobs at Delta?!

In my Susie Orman voice: "You have been been denied!"

Back