SID Question

Hey guys was recently flying in the US and ran across this on an SID.

http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0806/00346RENO_C.PDF

Runway 16R heading 156 CW 171

Neither of us from the great white north had any idea what the CW meant. Havn't been able to figure out what it means.

Just curious

It just means clockwise. The area defined by the 156 CW to 171 heading sends you through the valley to the south.

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 80
It just means clockwise. The area defined by the 156 CW to 171 heading sends you through the valley to the south.

I guess then what are you expected to do? Fly a heading anywhere from 156 to 171? Our initial clearance was the Reno 4 Dept track the loc until advised as we were going to take off the left runway. When they switched us to the right runway we just asked the tower and they wanted us to track the loc out.

I'm just curious what you're actually expected to do on the SID.

The tracking the loc outbound for 16L falls right in line with the text of the SID. It seems as though ATC should've given you a heading when they switched you to the other runway but didn't for some reason. Interesting nonetheless, but it might have just been an oversight on ATC's part not realizing the heading for the 16R Reno 4 has to be assigned.

Sorry I can't provide much help on this one.

They should have assigned you a heading from 156-171. They told you to track the localizer outbound so that follows the 164 outbound.

I guess then what are you expected to do? Fly a heading anywhere from 156 to 171? .
No, you don't just pick one. It says "as assigned by ATC" doesn't it?

And remember that SIDs are there primarily for ATC convenience in issuing clearances and for pilots to reduce the workload and errors in copying clearances. No one says that ATC can't assign a SID in a clearance and then change it up with instructions.

Back