Showing Up With Commercial?

farwellbooth

Say I showed up at FSA with a commercial license and very little multi time, maybe none.
Could I possibly be integrated into the program? I know you all do lots of multi and use multi for instrument.

Would I still audit the private or audit something else?

Have you met other students at FSA who have done this?

Would the interviewing committee treat my instructor candidacy in an equitable manner, since I didn't do the majority of my training there? thank you

A few students came in with commercial/inst while I was there. They did not audit anything and I think they trained part 61. As far as I could tell FSI had some sort of curriculum for students in this position. I would think the only reason to do this would be to continue on to CFI since you could just get your commercial ME add on in about 15 hours anywhere else. Call marketing and I’m sure they can give you specifics.

I know that one of the folks mentioned above went through CFI interviewed and as far as I know is in the instructor pool now. So apparently it can be done.

I 'm assuming that you have a Commercial Single and want a Commercial Multi and/or CFI.

If this is the case, then you would probably do the CMEL as a FAR 61 course and then go to the CFI program. It's pretty routine and I'm sure that marketing could quote a rate on it very quickly.

I believe I am following the track you're asking about. I showed up here last September with about 350 hours Commercial Single Engine Instrument completed Part 61. I did the FSA Commercial Multi-Engine program in September, CFI ground in October, and am currently working on the CFI flight portion of the program. I hope to have earned my flight instructor certificate by Christmas. After that, I plan to interview and jump in the pool.

It's been quite smooth so far. Lots of "catch up" to re-learn things the FSI way, but not too bad.

Feel free to e me or ask any specific questions about my training thus far.

Mark

I did the FSI tour last week, and am coming in with my PPL and Inst. SEL. They were able to give me a quote on the spot crediting my hrs, both 141 and 61. It is a much better deal to finish up 61, not really sure why but that is the way it comes out. As far as the audit, you can audit one gs class for free, at least that is what they are telling me. I am going to audit the Inst. program, since the comm. is basically the same as the PPL. They can pretty much cater to your needs, and design a program specifically for you is my understanding. I'll be starting in Jan.

I also had quotes for the FSI program under 141 and 61. For me, they were very close in price but a big difference they pointed out is you have to get a DPE for checkrides under 61. This is an extra cost, but can also introduce a delay as some of the same DPEs also service Pan Am down in Ft Pierce and as a result have extremely busy schedules. Plus you run the risk of a pink slip in case you bust a ride.

I sent a student up for an 61 ride last week. Didn't take too long, I signed him up on Monday and his ride was Wednesday. It all depends on their schedule, sometimes it will get backed up.

Yeah the pink slip issue is a concern, but unfortunately so is cost. I'll just have to make sure I'm good and ready for my check rides...

I wouldn't worry too much about pink slips. I have taken several checkrides without a failure. Knock on wood....I have my Comm. ME this afternoon. The IPs at FSA are very good and will not sign up a student for a checkride unless he/she knows the student is ready and is confident that the SP will pass.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I currently have my Private. Due to the economy I thought about buying my own aircraft and getting my ratings up to commercial localy. This way I would not have to quit my job and I feel it would be much cheaper because I could sell the plane after 3 years and hopfully make most of my money back. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?

Chuck
Greensboro, NC

If you were home, you would be home now!!
smile.gif

Chuck, here are a couple of suggestions:

Make sure you sell the plane before it gets to close to TBO. Value drops dramatically as an engine approaches a multi-thousand dollar overhaul.

Make good friends with a mechanic that you can trust. Learn to do the maintenance yourself as far as the FARs allow.

Consider getting a partner with similar goals. This will make your burden of the costs much lighter.

Buy a C150 (or Cherokee 140 if you've just gotta have four seats). These are relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain. (With a C172, you pay a lot for the "Skyhawk" name.)

I think that going to a big school with the commercial already behind you is a good idea. An alternative would be to get your private and 50 hours of cross-country time, and then take advantage of the IFR and ME courses at Name Brand Academy. Either of these plans will save you megabucks. Just make sure to get a CFI that doesn't skimp and will train you to PTS.

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I already have my private and I wanted a aircraft that can carry 4 people. There is a mechanic at the airport that I trained at that I trust. I am leaning to toward getting a 182. I know its alot of airplane but I want something with some speed and that will carry 4 people plus the benefit of having the constant speed prop.

I have a good bit of 182 time (mostly fire spotting) and they are great airplanes. To find a good one will probably cost you, however. You can definitely get some serious cross-country flying done with it and yet it can fly slow enough and is stable enough to make a good instrument trainer as well.

I figure I will keep the plane for however long it will take me to get my ratings up to commercial then transfer to a flight academy. I believe it will be cheaper in the long run. BTW, would a academy let you train in your own airplane?

I think that FSI did have a published rate for the student's aircraft, but it really isn't done. All the training and publications are geared toward the Pipers.

Back