Should I test now?

Flight81

OO BRO FO
I have been studying for the IRA, FII and IGI for about two weeks using the jeppesen book and the sportys dvds and test prep software. I'm trying to get these done before I get to ATP at the end of July. I have been getting 90 to 93 consistently on the practice tests. My dilema is that I feel about 50% is me understanding the concepts and the other 50 is just pure memorizing the answers. I had alotted myself until the end of next week to prep for the test. Im just worried about taking the real thing and having it be much more indeepth than the practice test, and only fully understanding half the concepts. What to do???

There's no way the real test will be more in depth, the Gleim test books are the actual questions that will be asked so all you have to do is memorize them. If you are getting 90-93 you will pass the real written. However, you're going to have to know the material forwards and back when you get to the oral exam, but for now, just take the written as a memorization exercise and concentrate on putting it all together when you get to your training.

There's no way the real test will be more in depth, the Gleim test books are the actual questions that will be asked so all you have to do is memorize them. If you are getting 90-93 you will pass the real written. However, you're going to have to know the material forwards and back when you get to the oral exam, but for now, just take the written as a memorization exercise and concentrate on putting it all together when you get to your training.

:yeahthat:

Just get them done ASAP. Most of the concepts on the written test, especially the Instrument, will be hit hard with your instructor once you start.

I agree with the above, it worked well for me for my private. I am starting to study for the instrument right now, I'm using the same method.

I start a week from Monday so I am busting it out too. I'm about done with the instrument stuff but have to get into the Seminole handbook. So much to learn!!

I have pretty much given up on the G430 simulator on my computer...I just need to use the real thing a few times.

I start a week from Monday so I am busting it out too. I'm about done with the instrument stuff but have to get into the Seminole handbook. So much to learn!!

I have pretty much given up on the G430 simulator on my computer...I just need to use the real thing a few times.

Hit the Seminole supplement hard - its going to save your butt in the first week if you do. Pay particular attention to the V-speeds, weights, emergency calls (engine failure), what Vmc is and how they determine it, and what a critical engine is and means (PAST).

The 430 is easy to use once you use it two or three times in the sim or in the plane. They may show you a video on how to use it, but that does not help much. Just remember, Direct Enter Enter!

I've got the seminole supp down.....I think I'm gonna test in a few days for the IRA, FII and IGI.... I getting above 90 everytime..... We'll see....

Personally, I'd take the IRA now and save the IGI and FII for when you start your CFI-I training. Of course, that's my opinion from a non-90 day timeline. With ATP's firehose method, it may be best to get it all behind you. I simply found that hitting the Gleim books again for two days to get myself back up to testing proficiency was a nice mini-review, especially given I primarily use Jepp charts and NACOs are on the test.

Back