Sheble Aviation for Comm SEL

admsgt

I have seen the comments and feedback and such for using Sheble but even so, I was considering using them for their 2 day Commercial SEL course. Does anyone know if the Cessna RG is used for the whole course or is it split with a fixed gear airplane? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Not sure about the CSEL but I took my CFI with them. The RG was used only for the complex aspects. A financial decision I'm sure. Fewer duty cycles equate to a longer operating life. I was satisfied with my experience there. PM if you need more input.

The 172RG is used only for the complex part of the training and the checkride.

Cessna has not made a 172RG since 1984 and these aircraft are getting pretty old and can't hold up to constant day to day flight training. So Sheble uses them just for the required training and checkride parts.

I got my commerical at Shelbe and I also do recommend them.

You might as well get your commerical multi at the same time. They have an add on for less than $1000 if you do it at the same time you do your single. I don't know where else you can get this for less than $1000. It's well worth it.

The combined course takes 4 days but you should plan for a week.

Thanks for the replies. Just not sure on how proficient I "feel". I would hate to get there and need additional work. I feel pretty solid on everything but just needed some input. Thanks again.

wow, a two day course for commercial?

Are you supposed to have flown the commercial maneuvers before you arrive or can you walk in cold to chandelles, etc?

Let me try to step carefully here. I was pretty close to being ready for the SEC check ride when I went to Shebles. Let's call it 80%.

Shebles claims that you can start at the beginning and get your SEC. I don't know if that is true because I was not in that position.

I know that it would have been very difficult (probably impossible) for me to start at the beginning and make an SEC check ride in 2 days.

What I did like was that Shebles was able to quickly finish me up and get through the check ride knowing that I had what I needed. The first day they take up and fly the maneuvers. They will work on the ones that you are having problems with.

I happened to "luck out" and find myself in the middle of a three hour oral exam because the weather went below minimums that day. The examiner was professional and obviously very through.

He would not let me refer to any of the books or reference material that I had with me. Instead he drilled down to help me realize that I knew the material without having to look it up. It was quite effective and it made me realize that all of that studying and training had actually kicked in.

The check ride itself (next day) was about an hour and a half and involved 2 planes. I took it at a different airport that I had never flown out of before. That worried me because I didn't have a chance to practice the maneuvers in the area that I had to do them on my check ride. It turned out not to be an issue.

The thing that I remember was that we flew over to Nevada and the examiner told me to pick an emergency landing spot. There were some nice green flat fields and some brown flat fields neat to the green ones.

I picked the brown fields and the examiner asked me why I didn't pick the green fields. I told him the green ones might be really soft. So I set up for the brown field and got down to the point that I thought he was going to make me land. I asked him if he wanted me to land the plane and he said just do a go around. As I pushed the power in and saw the green fields, I noticed they had those traveling irrigation machines covering the field. I knew that I had made the right choice with the brown fields. The examiner never said a thing about it.

Back