shaving policy

To the best of my memory, the school's policy is that you must be clean shaven - even states that some may need to shave more than once a day. Beards are not allowed, and only mustaches that don't extend beyond the corners of the mouth (forget how it is worded) are allowed. I think they adopted the same policy as the airlines. I'm sure the airline pilots on here can clarify for me, but think it has to deal with the seal that a quick-donning oxygen mask creates and that a beard could disrupt that seal.

When is the last time you had to put on a quick don in a Cessna?
smirk.gif

It has never been an issue for me (except may be one or two late night flights), but I did not know there was a shaving policy. I can imagine in Sanford there is one since they are in uniforms. In Broward I know one student who has a long mustache and a bunch of others who look like... well... leave it at that, but at Broward we don't have to wear the uniform until August.

IMO once you have a uniform on, you are associated with an organization and their members. I myself would rather not want unshaved hobos, and Marx alike individuals wearing long mustache being associated with me or DCA.

I don't have a problem shaving...In fact I prefer clean shaving...My only concern was having to shave everyday where my skin becomes irritated. I generally don't begin to form a 5 o' clock shadow unitl two days after I shave. It's just if I shave within 3 or four days my face will break out in a rash, have razor burns and plenty of cuts. My skin just doesn't heal fast.

I shave every other day personally. If it's that tight on shaving where it actually makes an issue while training, it might be an issue.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug....what's the policy at Delta?

[/ QUOTE ]

Males
-Hair shall not extend below the top of the opening to the innter ear or extend below the top of the shirt collar. Hairstyles must be compatible with wearing of the uniform hat.

-Mustaches must be neat and must not extend beyond the corners of the mouth. Beards are not allowed when performing duties in the cockpit of an aircraft, simulator, or when flying as a JSA/XCM (jumpseater)

-Sideburns shall not extend below the middle of the ear.

That's it!

It doesn't necessarily stand against goatees, but I haven't seen a pilot with one so I'd had to be the test case.

I also shave every other day because of my susceptibility to hair bumps -- but I don't grow all that much facial hair anyway...

I'm fully evolved!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When is the last time you had to put on a quick don in a Cessna?
smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't think it is about having to put one on while flying a 172. The principle of it is to maintain professionalism among all students, as is the case with the uniforms. IMO kind of falls along the same line of why we are students at DCA - it is not to be a 172 Captain, it is to become an airline Captain.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think they adopted the same policy as the airlines. I'm sure the airline pilots on here can clarify for me, but think it has to deal with the seal that a quick-donning oxygen mask creates and that a beard could disrupt that seal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was pointing out that the DCA policy wasn't adopted for the above reason. If they want you to look professional, that's fine, but safety isn't involved.

I agree with Viceral it is about image not safety.

Now the uniforms are about money and image is just an added benefit.
That why they charge 55 dollars for a pair of blue or black polyester pants that you could buy at k mart for 10 bucks.

[ QUOTE ]
[

Don't think it is about having to put one on while flying a 172. The principle of it is to maintain professionalism among all students, as is the case with the uniforms. IMO kind of falls along the same line of why we are students at DCA - it is not to be a 172 Captain, it is to become an airline Captain.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think fighter-type handlebar mustaches are alright.

So my college-days lamb chop sideburns wouldn't cut it? hehe

I feel if I am getting paid I will look any way they want!

But as long as its my $60K going in their pocket I'll shave when I want and if they don't like it, I will go elsewehere! The schools are starving for students!

[ QUOTE ]
That why they charge 55 dollars for a pair of blue or black polyester pants that you could buy at k mart for 10 bucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well at my company I had to purchase two pairs of uniform pants for $80 a pop. Thank God for payroll deduction. Toss in the black leather jacket for $300-something, that adds up.

I just can't believe they give you ONE uniform. God, at least two pairs of pants and three shirts should be mandatory. That's the minimum for me in an airplane that cools down... in a Cessna 152 in Florida the uniforms must smell like ass.

[ QUOTE ]
Our pants cost 80 bucks, too, but the jacket was given to us, along with out wings, at the completion of LOE.

[/ QUOTE ]

We just have a requirement to have black, unpleated pants, a hat, double-breasted coat and gold epaulets.

We're able to purchase them whereever and a lot of guys use their former Navy uniform (same thing), or go to military surplus stores to get their uniform pieces.

There is also a company in ATL that we're able to arrange payroll deduction for that's independent and a company uniform store.

Most captains I know just purchase black slacks from JCPenney.

Our pants are this dark navy blue that almost looks black. I've yet to find pants that match the color at Carson's or JCPenney's. I wish I could, it would be nice. So the search continues...
grin.gif

Back