Shamrock 104 - ATC

HalWilson

First my direct knowledge of last years verbal exchange between Shamrock and ATC is limited to the multitude of youtubes reflecting the communications.
We all know that aircrews exercise extreme caution when wx. is present. And it is a fact that 95% of the time, their deviations will be accommodated. This instance seems to legitimately be within the remaining five percent. With weather, the pilots must exercise expertise and judgment for avoidance but the workload and demands upon controllers increase immensely. Shamrock's transmissions seem to indicate his concerns stopped at the cockpit windshield.

The NY metro area, with JFK, LGA and EWR in such close proximity, it is probably the heaviest concentration of a/c for any specified area. Hence enters criteria such as minimal size sectorization, ie JFK adjacent to LGA, causing limited freedom controllers have for deviations, that the aviation community is apparently not aware of.

I would think the JFK controller had legitimate limitations on the conduct of flight within his sector. And since the previous six a/c deviated with negative complaints while accounting for a safe and orderly flow of traffic, one can only understand his frustration over Shamrock disrupting the departure flow and possibly causing adjacent sector penetration and safety issues.
You can easily see the frustration of the controller that Shamrock 104 seems to be intent on promoting until he gets his request.

The lack of awareness and concern for the ATC system and controllers is unfortunate and embarrassing.

By vectoring what essentially was a 360, the intent was to place Shamrock behind the orderly flow of deviations and then grant what could be accommodated whereby Shamrock would not pose a traffic issue. Apparently Shamrock had difficulty understanding the controller's situation and his concerns seemed to be solely obtaining his requested deviation and route. Had he felt strongly enough regarding his request/demand, he could always have declared an emergency, advised intent and maintained his authority to navigate at will.

Last, Shamrock's "boss" most certainly has the number to JFK departures. Lord, a noninvolved party as myself can access it on the computer. And then demanding an ID.
Huh? Now I ask you, how many times have controllers asked pilots for their operations number and their personal ID. However Shamrock persisted on numerous occasions, blocking the frequency with his repetitive unnecessary transmission over the phone # and "ID." Continuing to ask, when he knows it isn't forthcoming, seemingly to agitate the controller. And then other parts of the self serving aviation community making their unauthorized transmissions advising Shamrock who to complain to; indicating a terrible relationship and wanting respect between the crews and air traffic.

To me, Shamrock's adolescent attitude towards the controller is the main issue behind this conflict. Incidentally, the Marine Corps has a saying, "There is always that 10 %."

I’m amazed the crap that gets blown out of proportion on youtube. That probably never should have gone further than “well, that guy was a real knob” on either end and everyone forgets about it after the shift.

I haven't listened to the tapes but all the controller needs to do is say "Sir, if you want that heading you'll need to declare an emergency...state intentions".

Sorry, the controller's attitude was from the get go.

"Everyone else has been goin through there."

and worse:

"You accepted the departure!"

Excluding the Gateway climb (which it wasn't here), the Kennedy 5 departure off 22s is straight out runway heading. No one said nothing about a left turn. Obviously you gotta get spun around to head towards the gateway fixes but still, it was pretty unprofessional on ATC's end. The Shamrock pilot on the radio then matched the attitude the New Yorker was giving him.

I haven't listened to the tapes but all the controller needs to do is say "Sir, if you want that heading you'll need to declare an emergency...state intentions".
Just like I threatened to do once coming out of Tucson when the controller tried to vector me into a nasty CB build up. He kept yelling louder and I calmly told him it’s not going to make me turn that way any more and I’ll declare if I have too. After he realized I wasn’t budging he vectored the military jet another way. There’s nothing you can say to make me enter a cloud I don’t want to enter. 99.9% of the time I am able to comply with controller requests so if I say no, there’s a pretty dang good reason.

I’m amazed the crap that gets blown out of proportion on youtube.
really? I can’t say I am seems like most on there just want to make as much noise as they can to get views to generate revenue. Almost like a novice rush Limbaugh

I’m amazed the crap that gets blown out of proportion on youtube. That probably never should have gone further than “well, that guy was a real knob” on either end and everyone forgets about it after the shift.
Troof

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

@HalWilson

There was a discussion on this event a while back and I dug up my reply to paste to you here.

I know what has become a discussion here and a youtube audio clip was really just a couple minutes in another somewhat typical summer workday at the TRACON, but I also wouldn't mind at all if the controller in question read this thread, including my own reply here.

The thing that the controller appears to be misunderstanding is that the very nature of warm weather convective weather is that it constantly changes. That, and perhaps the fact that the people in the airplane are the ones in control of the airplane.

For reasons that @jtrain609 had mentioned previously, going by what the last few aircraft did is never an acceptable reason to assume that all subsequent departures are going to be able to do the same.

Furthermore, let me remind the ATC people here of two scenarios that I and I'm sure most everyone else on here runs into constantly:

Scenario #1
ATC: Bluestar 123, I'm showing an area of moderate to severe and some extreme precipitation at your eleven to one o'clock, 3-0 miles, let me know if you need to deviate.
BSR123: Okay uhh...we're actually VFR and can see just a light scattered layer below us, thanks for the heads up and this course will work fine.

Scenario #2 (the inverse of #1)
BSR123: Bluestar 123, requesting left deviation 20 degrees for 60 miles for weather.
ATC: Uh, roger Bluestar 123, I'm not showing weather out there and haven't had any deviations, let me know the tops if able and advise when you're able to go back on course.

Base on the above two scenarios, and this is not a knock at ATC folks because I know how hard you work to keep things running smoothly, but the technology is evidently and obviously not at the level where it is something pilots can trust over their own aircraft's radar.

Therefore, I do not care what the last one, two, or six airplanes did, nor do I care what level precipitation you are showing if it is less than what I'm seeing on my own cockpit display.

We are going with the more conservative of the two radar returns, and that's the end of it.
This takes us to the point of accepting a takeoff clearance which in this controller's opinion apparently also comes with a promise of following the trail of aircraft ahead regardless of weather.

As @Cherokee_Cruiser mentioned, the departure off 22R is fly runway heading.

This is not an RNAV departure with a sharp turn a couple miles off the runway and that's where the cell happens to be.

This is a fly runway heading, expect vectors to GREKI.

Absolutely nothing in the phrase "cleared for takeoff 22R" comes with an addendum of having to make some left turn into an area of precipitation.

Although I get being busy, the response by ATC was flat-out rude.

Early on in the dialogue, it was "Shamrock 104 heavy, alright, let me know when you can take a turn to the left."

Somewhere after that it became a plan to setup a hold-by-vectors with no explanation to Air Lingus. Any hold comes with an expect further clearance time, or even an estimate. No estimate was given and so exclaiming "you got yourself into this position!" is ironic seeing as how all that happened to trigger this was a departure pointing out weather that they need to clear by a few miles.

Again, not a knock on ATC but going beyond the PIC decision topic, there is a way to communicate over the radio and this ain't it.

I don’t feel like rewatching this, but iirc the ACTIONS of both pilot and controller were correct. It was the radio where things got unprofessional.

It's funny, I hear things almost weekly that would surely go viral on YouTube but no one notices. Then stuff like this ends up in national news. People are strange.

Back