SF-86 question

Barty

This is regarding question 13C.

About 4.5 years ago, I was written up because of some incomplete record keeping and a minor dress code violation. I was brought in, had a meeting with the boss about it and was issued a written warning. I was not fired or suspended and my employment was not threatened. It was a hot button issue with my employer for various reasons and I wasn't the first to be written up without much prior verbal warning about it. It never became an issue again.

I am assuming this could be considered as "misconduct in the workplace" but they offer no further explanation and I'd rather include it than get bitten later since there is a written record.

I would disclose it. There is no way you will get denied a background check for that. If you're not honest that could come back to bite you.

I put it down before I asked, but I just wanted to make sure that they weren't referring to more serious offenses.

Frankly, the whole thing I got written up for was a bunch of BS...I could go into a long drawn out story about it, but there was alot of animosity there after our management who actually gave a damn about all of us got ran out (the folks who hired about 95% of us) and got replaced by a bunch of yes men.

I had one of those too... and they give you plenty of space to go into detail. Jonesy is right, always better to err in favor of providing too much information :)

I have been paranoid about that same questions since I opened the form. I have one write-up at the job I have currently been at for over 4 years and a near perfect record otherwise, include great reviews before and after the incident. It is probably better to disclose it, in reading the cases of denied security clearances, I never saw one case where someone was denied due to one write-up, especially if it is a minor offense. Cases where people have been denied included people being written up for major security or conduct violations multiple times over a condensed or extended period of time. If it ever was a problem, it sounds like an investigator would contact you for more information, and you would have a chance to explain everything and I can’t see it being a DQ. Maybe its better I have one blemish on my SF-86 anyway, I had no arrests, terminations, debts, ect…. to list so if we looked totally perfect it may appear more suspicious.

Looks like they've changed the SF86 in the past 5 months.

When you posted your question I didn't remember it and went back to my form and that question isn't on there, and then I looked on the OPM site for the form and it looks different now... interesting, they hadn't changed that form in over 12 years.

Its interesting the form may have been changed. Did anyone at the KC PEPC or past events catch any flack for that question or other things regarding your background check? It looks like if there is a problem people have been contacted within a week or two after the PEPC by officials needing more information or explanations. If you cont contacted by the time the reference letters go out I think your safe, barring crazy results from the reference checks.

Its interesting the form may have been changed.

It was changed, it says updated July 2008, but they still used the old one in August. So, it was probably updated but not published until after August.

The old question 22 looks like the new question 13c but it doesn't have anything about being written up, just if you were fired... it also doesn't ask you to put on there if you were layed off, there were only 5 codes.

I wonder why they needed to change it.

I would disclose it. There is no way you will get denied a background check for that. If you're not honest that could come back to bite you.

Yeah it's really no big deal. I got fired from a couple part time jobs in the past and they told me if that's the worst I've done, that I have no reason to worry. One write up, no big deal.

Back