SF-85 Security Check questions

Justin538

Hey everyone,

I have a question about the background checks. I went away to school for one year in 2003. I understand that according to the form I have to put that as my place of residence, and somebody that i know/knows me.

If I can't think of anyone or even where they might possibly be, is this a big issue?

But I have to list that area as a residence, and they want people you knew, preferably that still live in the area for the last 5 years. I went away to school for one year before returning. I only knew students, and haven't kept in touch with anyone.

Tough call, I went to school in Toronto and even though I lived in different places, I listed the same person for all locations as she is the only person I consistently kept in contact with and still resides in the general area

I noticed a nice little quote on the form that took away some apprehension. "Giving us the information we ask for is voluntary. However, we may not be able to complete you investigation or complete it in a timely manner if you don't give us each item of information we request. This may affect your placement or employment prospects."

One name for a short term address shouldn't be a problem.

Yeah, If they have gone this far to process your 85 form. The only thing that they are seriously looking for is red flags like arrest warrants, drugs, anything like that. I agree a short term thing like that would have no affect on it.

I mentioned this before, but contact the school and see if anyone such as a professor or someone in student services can verify your enrollment and what address you had on file while you were a student. That's probably better than nothing. Did you have a mailbox address while at school or just a permanent address back home? If you stayed on campus then they definitely should have a record of that.

That probably depends if you went to school in Ireland or Iraq.

They really do want to contact someone who actually knew you and what you were doing while you were there...

Back