SF-15 Form for Veterans 10 point pref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raydon

Just thought I'd get a focus thread going for the SF15.

This document is for Veterans 10 Point Preference for service related disabilities.

here's a link to the VA website's SF-15 PDF

Basic Qualifications for 10-point are listed HERE

I have yet to do further research on the topic but i'll be posting as I learn more.

(I.E. when/where to fill out/send or hand in)

The SF-15 is for veterans that have a service connected disability rating of 10% or more....if filled out by the Veteran, it gives them preference in being hired by the FAA; however, it only gives the Veteran preference over another Veteran if they have the exact same qualifications as each other...then the 10 point veteran preference will receive the job....if the other veteran has more qualifications than the veteran with the 10 point preference, the veteran with no preference would be entitled to the job.

You can also receive 5 pts. preference for serving overseas during a time of war...

and if you are 60% disabled you are a 10pt. preference veteran but have even more preference over just the other 10pt. preference veterans that are rated below 60%.

Don't worry about the SF-15 unless you have a service-connected disability....there are a few other stipulations, people that could qualify for it are surviving spouses and dependents of deceased or permanently disabled veterans.

Don't worry about the SF-15 unless you have a service-connected disability....

something that us disabled veterans will be wanting to know is

-When do we have to have this filled out?
-When do we send this in?
-Where do we send it? OR Who do we give this to?

OR

Will we just be told to fill it out on-site @ PEPC or something?

and if you are 60% disabled you are a 10pt. preference veteran but have even more preference over just the other 10pt. preference veterans that are rated below 60%.

60% is not the only qualifier for 10 point preference. I have provided a link to the information. please see my original post!

Your right 60% isn't the only qualifier...I stated a bunch of qualifiers for 10 pt veteran preference; however, when you are 60% rated you even get higher preference above the 10 point veterans that are not 60% disabled.

out128571678606855486.jpg

I only say that because for anyone having to deal with VA/disability/Gi Bill as a veteran is probably banging their head right now waiting to get a decent answer to decent questions about getting through a process they ALREADY KNOW they qualify for.

You keep continuing also Raydon. If you'd just stop it would stop, you don't have to have the last word.

Ok...earlier I was providing further information that is not listed on the form you provided about SF-15 information...the info I provided was that 60% rated 10 pt. veterans are actually listed in a higher category than just 10 pt. veterans....

Now to try and answer your other questions:

When you originally applied for the PUBNAT or whatever announcement you applied for on ASAP, there was a section on that announcement that asked if you were a veteran and if you were eligible for veterans preference.

Based on whether or not you checked that information would trigger "Aviation Careers Division" in OKC to refer you or not...some people that are not veterans with preference may not get referred out to a location because they will take the veterans with preference first.

Now...if you did click that you were a veteran and are subject to 5 or 10 pt preference make sure you have the documentation either on your DD-214 or a letter dated within a year from the VA stating what your percentage rating is...this letter has to be dated with 1 year. To qualify for the 5 pt. preference, you do not need the SF-15, only a copy of your DD-214 that shows you have a campaign medal.

If you do not have this information and "Aviation Careers" requests it, it can cause you to be disqualified from the list you were originally referred out on...so again, ensure that when you fill out the application on ASAP, you do this completely accurate.

When you receive a Tenative Offer Letter (TOL) the SF-15 or instructions to fill out an SF-15 will be included in the letter if you selected you were eligible for 10pts veterans preference. Along with the TOL package will be all the necessary information you will need to fill out, the timeline to fill it out in, and where to send it back to.

If you do not have proof from the VA of your disability rating, contact them now at 800-827-1000 and request a letter to be sent to you, they can actually send multiple copies if you want. That way you have the document ahead of time because it takes about 10 days to get it in the mail. The FAA will want a copy of the letter from the VA and the SF-15.

Hopefully I have answered all your questions.

When you receive a Tenative Offer Letter (TOL) the SF-15 or instructions to fill out an SF-15 will be included in the letter if you selected you were eligible for 10pts veterans preference. Along with the TOL package will be all the necessary information you will need to fill out, the timeline to fill it out in, and where to send it back to.

out of everything you have posted in this thread. this was the only thing necessary.

thank you for the info!

simple.... and informative. key word = SIMPLE

I give up.

Now any veteran that comes to this thread is going to have to sift through every one of our previous posts looking for that ONE paragraph. Do you see what i'm getting at here?

You keep continuing also Raydon. If you'd just stop it would stop, you don't have to have the last word.

you may be right but there's also something to be said for overbearing monologues in threads requesting specific information.

On my first post, I gave you information you didn't have, nor did you post...I'm trying to help you new guys out here...you took this same approach on another thread when you were asking for advice on what books to check up on...again, I gave you the single best piece of advice possible on what to read and you jumped down my throat.

If you read half of every post on this forum, there are posts that dance around everyone's question.

We are all doing our best to add what information we know in order to help the other person out.

When you get in the FAA you are going to have people over and over drill the same stuff into your head, stuff you think you already know, or don't need to know any more of, or information you think is useless. Take every piece of that and put it away for later use. Don't take the attitude that you don't need to know it, or I already know that, or that was useless information for me...just take it all in.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a 100% positive and humble attitude in training...it will be your ticket to a great future with the FAA. I've seen too many people with negative attitudes towards other controllers, trainers, management, and such that don't make it.

Your ability to do the job is probably 30% of what it takes to be a controller...you will see that once you get in and see the caliber of controllers that are moving metal around...the other 70% is probably your attitude and ability to work well with your peers and get along with everyone. If you attitude stinks, you won't make it far.

I'm not saying your attitude stinks, but I've seen a handful of posts you have left and yes...some of them are sarcastic, but others, you are jumping the gun on people that are trying to help you out as best as they know.

You can't expect to get the exact answer you want every time you post a thread. All you could have done, politely, was ask in more detail what you were looking for if I didn't get it right the first time.

Now...the majority of this post is taken up by you bickering about the situation...and if you look at other posts, you will notice a lot of them are still unanswered as to the original question and most of them are still only half answered and those threads are 10 pages long!

I believe it took me three posts to give you all the information you needed...even with your attitude towards me after I didn't answer your question fully, I still decided to post every bit of information you requested without saying a word back...and geez...if it only takes three posts to get the information you need, I would think that is a winner thread right there.

Obviously this thread has gone off topic...like most others...but the good information lies within my third post I assume...so if you want, feel free to re-post it under another thread, you can even credit it as your own if you would like. I just wanted to make you aware of your attitude. It could lighten up just a little. I'm on here quite a bit and am trying to help as many new applicants as possible start their career as an ATCer.....After I saw your post on how you wanted me out of this forum, I got on the phone with my contact at "Aviation Careers" in OKC and had them explain to me exactly what happens with the SF-15 and I specifically asked your questions, that way you could get everything you wanted.

Hope this helps.

Little gnome person ----> I thought both your posts were pretty informative and a good explanation. I am sure you saved whoever you called at aviation careers a few phone calls from whomever visits this thread and has questions about veterans preference. Thanks for the good information and taking your time to find answers.

Maybe I am jumping the gun.. but here's a little observation about the whole rundown of events in this thread.. since it's already out of control and everyone wants to have a say in it...

A: Thread name? It's not "Tell me about qualifying for 5 or 10 point disability.
Call me crazy.. but I think it reads.. "SF-15 form for Veterans 10 point
pref"... soooooo in layman's terms.. this thread is NOT about the
who what where why of VA disability eligibility..

B: First post: My post, stated that it was an attempt at a **FOCUS** THREAD
SOLELY DEDICATED TO THE SF-15
.. meaning ANYONE LOOKING FOR
A TID-BIT OF INFORMATION REGARDING BASIC FACTS ABOUT THE SF-15
AND NOT A GENERAL THREAD ABOUT VETERANS DISABILITY RATINGS COULD DROP BY FOR A QUICK BIT OF INFO. ANYONE LOOKING FOR INFORMATION REGARDING THE SF-15 PROBABLY ALREADY KNOWS WHAT IT IS AND KNOWS FOR A FACT THAT THEY'RE A DISABLED VETERAN, AND KNOWS FOR A FACT THAT THEY WOULD LIKE TO GET THE 10 POINT PREF AND HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THE "YES" BOX NEXT TO "DO YOU CLAIM 10 POINT PREF" ON THE ASAP WEBPAGE.

C: I KNOW i'm being anal about it but in light of the BS i've had to put up
with regarding the VA, Gi Bill, Disability and employment since I left the
marine corps I've gone a bit mad when it comes to.. "Hey, I have a simple question, please provide a simple answer."
sooooo anyone that just wants bare-bone facts regarding bare-bone questions
can get it from me.. but when I post something regarding a SPECIFIC TOPIC and people start polluting it with information that's best left to another thread somewhere else (I.E. "HERE'S THE PERCENTAGE INFORMATION FOR DISABILITY RATINGS REGARDING VETERANS PREFERENCE" thread).. yeah i'm going to try to direct un-necessary information from diluting the proprietary and focused intent of my threads. This one's shot to hell.. but in the future if I try to post something like "Basic Info on getting your PPL," I'm going to F-ing SNAP if people start posting crap regarding CPL, CFI, getting your rotary rating, payscales for pilots and junk..

while everything you've provided may be in the same ballpark.. IT'S NOT RELEVANT TO THE ORIGINAL POST.
(except for your information regarding the SF-15 document.. which is minimal compared to everything else you dumped in this thread)

Am I the only one that sees any sense in my argument?

I believe it took me three posts to give you all the information you needed...even with your attitude towards me after I didn't answer your question fully, I still decided to post every bit of information you requested without saying a word back...and geez...if it only takes three posts to get the information you need, I would think that is a winner thread right there.

Let me point out my original post... or.. hey even my 2nd post..that one's better.

-When do we have to have this filled out?
-When do we send this in?
-Where do we send it? OR Who do we give this to?

OR

Will we just be told to fill it out on-site @ PEPC or something?

the only information you have provided which is relevant to this thread is

and that's all this thread needed!! Is that so hard to understand?

**edit**

Oh, this was spot on as well. Tankya.
If you do not have proof from the VA of your disability rating, contact them now at 800-827-1000 and request a letter to be sent to you, they can actually send multiple copies if you want. That way you have the document ahead of time because it takes about 10 days to get it in the mail. The FAA will want a copy of the letter from the VA and the SF-15.

AND TO THE REST OF YOU partaking in this debate... if this is a social club then yeah my views may or may not be widely accepted as I am not a socialite. My approach to life is of data processing. ATC for me is not about making friends or taking sides or networking. It's about getting Mister Airplane man from point A---to point B. You can't get to point B safely and and avoid planes C,D,E,F,G,H,I and J if you're going to sit there and yak away on the mic. Keep it simple out there, and don't get caught up in other people's BS. This thread has become rather abhorrible in nature and i'm going to cease and desist.

Lawn Gnome I still love ya.. but ya gotta understand where I'm coming from.
And... well, to everyone else I apologize for my rash behavior and poor PR. I'm a philosophy major and it's in my nature to delineate conceptualized belief by means of dialectic method. (argue) (until I get to PEPC, then it's Yessir! nosir! abso####inglutelysir!)

--and i'm not arguing to be RIGHT.. i'm arguing to be "not wrong," info is info and it's scattered ever so haphazardly in every thread so it's no surprise that this one didn't work out to some ill-conceived notion of a cookie-cutter facts sheet that's easy to read and understand that I had in my head. I guess I'm just trying to hint at information-structure reform, and cover an altogether greater notion of refining our approach to posting specific and useful information on this site.

sorry now I'm just talkin crazy. have a night night fellas.

I'm on my way to pick up my Kindergartner, so I don't have a lot of time to read everything over here, but received a request to delete this thread. Generally we don't delete threads unless something has gone REALLY amiss, but I'll go ahead and lock it, and take a closer gander at things when I have a minute......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back