sezuires

yankee_one

Quick question. Once a person has had a sezuire, I would assume their medical is revoked? is that true? Any hopes of getting it back?

Unfortunately Epilepsy is probably one of the most serious disqualifiers for the issuance of a medical certificate, and I'm sure revokation if an AME catches wind of it. The following is 67.309, the standards for neurological condition for a Third Class Medical.

Neurologic standards for a third-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(1) Epilepsy;

(2) A disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause; or

(3) A transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause.

(b) No other seizure disorder, disturbance of consciousness, or neurologic condition that the Federal Air Surgeon, based on the case history and appropriate, qualified medical judgment relating to the condition involved, finds—

(1) Makes the person unable to safely perform the duties or exercise the privileges of the airman certificate applied for or held; or

(2) May reasonably be expected, for the maximum duration of the airman medical certificate applied for or held, to make the person unable to perform those duties or exercise those privileges.

That doesn't sound good to me...my most sincere apologies for being the bearer of bad news if it was you that had the seizure.

J
bandit.gif

Seizure does not equal epilepsy. In fact, there are many, many causes. Some of which include hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), electrolyte imbalance, fever (very, very common in children), tumor or other mass, infection (like meningitis)and increased intracranial pressure (caused by a bleed). Also some people think that they've had a seizure, when all that really happened was syncope (passing out). If you've seen somebody pass out, you may have noticed a few involuntary muscle twitches, which really isn't a 'seizure'. If you had a febrile (fever) seizure at, say, 2 years of age I would really hesitate to report it at all. Basically, it's really the cause that matters to the FAA, or any medical person for that matter. If, for instance, you had/have a tumor you're AME will really probably evaluate you for your medical from more of a cancer standpoint. Anyways, hope this helps. If you want to let us know more, I might be able to give a more direct answer. If not, I don't blame you!
cool.gif

Back