Setting the Standard!

[ QUOTE ]
If you are hating your life because of a potential flying career, then maybe you shouldnt be doing flying

[/ QUOTE ]

Beleive me, if I hated flying I would not be doing what I'm doing. Everyones gotta make sacrifices, and I choose to make them right now.

The thing is, I have relatives in my family that are in their late 20's and early 30's that have partied it up. I look at them and think, what a waste. They could have partied here and there, AND also taken care of their future at the same time.

I go out, not as often as I'd like, but thats life. I'm not gonna bitch about it. I like what I do.

I worked full time while getting all my ratings and attending school with an average of 16-18 units per quarter. I did all this because I choose to do it.

I'm starting to figure out what drives me.

When I was a kid, about 4 or 5, my dad left my mom. (Story of the average American kid right?) well, growing up in a large family where everyone had a father mother brother and sister, and me being an only child it was hard. My mom didn't know a word of english and worked for $5.00/hour. I still to this day have no idea how she raised me on the money she made. Mothers work wonders.

I felt so bad when I was a kid that when I turned 14, I got my first job. I've never been unemployed since. I bought my own new car when I was 18 so I could "fit in" with the other kids from my high school. All their parents took care of everything. I wasn't mad at my mom for not being able to do the same, I just wanted to be accepted. Doesn't everybody?

So being very poor when I was younger, made me want to try VERY VERY hard when I was able to. That meant getting a job at 14 and paying for books in high school myself. Paying for my own clothes, a car, and eventually college. I wasnt going to raise my kids in the same conditions that I was raised in.

I never want to have to worry about how I'm going to pay my mortgage or rent next month. I don't want my kids to think about not taking lunch money from their parents the next morning because they felt bad about it like I did in the 4th grade.

I don't want a fancy car, house, lifestyle. I just want to be happy, have a family that surrounds me, and enjoy the people around me. I won't be doing that working in any field, except aviation.

My feelings of not having things when i was a kid, makes me work hard now so that I will never feel like that again.

And when i refer to things, I'm talking about average necessaties. Not wants

man, have I been in your shoes. Ive been out of high school for almost 5 years and I still run into some people that I hung out with from time to time. On each occasion the same question comes up "so what are you doing these days"

If I was a high school teacher or a counselor I would ask that same question to My students...."In 10 years when you run into an old friend that you havnt seen in years, and that person askes you 'what are you doing these days' what would you want to say"

I wonder if it would have any effect?

but the biggest problem people have that really go nowhere in life is that they usually dont want to get out of their comfort zone, or not just enough motivation. But, you made a good point about "setting the standard". Great post, I think about this stuff all the time when I am around some old friends and they are still livin' the moment, and I am pluggin' away at the aviation gig. they say they are content with the life they lead, fine by me...

This is the best post I have ever read on JC.com.
I feel more and more motivated to work my ass off after reading this. If I want something in life I am going to try my damnest to make it work.

There is nothing more in life that I want then to be proud of myself and everything I have achieved. I want to see a class mate from 10 years ago and for them to ask me the same question, and I will be proud of myself if I know I have done everything in my power to be the best I could be.

I was previously the kind of guy that would just do enough to get by in life. I was your average "C" student. Then something happened to me. I decided I didn't like what was happening to me. I began skipping periods with my friends, I took up smoking and then there were girls.

I decided that if I wanted to be an individual and gain respect from my peers and family I had to lead the way. I began studying hard for my exams. Instead of going out on the weekends I would stay home and study or go to work to fund flying lessons.

In June of 03 I completed my first solo. That was a massive thrill and gave me the motivation to work harder. I began taking night classes for my PPL and study study study. Although i have not sat any exams as I choose to concentrate on my school work. I worked my butt off for 5 months trying to be the best I could.

Exams came and went and I got my results back a few weeks ago. I was please with my results but thought I could have done better. Silly mistakes. But I digress...

Im currently meant to be in my final year at highschool but I got good enough marks to attend the local college. I have decided to do a degree in business studies majoring in either Accounting or Marketing. This will be a 3 to 4 year degree depending on what I decide to major in. Then I hope to do one more year so I can attain a masters degree. While doing all this I plan on working 30 hour weeks and working on my ratings. By the end of 04 I want to have my PPL and have a A average in my degree course.

At the end of last year I told all my teachers that I would be leaving school and not coming back in 04. I was told by most of my teachers that this was a bad idea and it was a cop out. "You will be far more mature if you spend another year", "think of the leadership opportunities....you will be headboy". "you are missing out on the best years of your life". But there was one teacher that saw the determination in my eyes. He was my Geography and Tourism teacher who I had known since I was 5 as he was my soccer coach. He told me to strive to be the best and believe in myself. He told me to stuff all the negative influences in my life and people saying I can't do this can't do that. He just told me to follow my heart.

I knew deep down that if I stayed at school I would get back to my old ways and will struggle to get out of them. So I took the leap.

Last week I was working at the supermarket and I had a visit from my old maths teacher. This is what he said to me....
"I noticed you havn't come back to school this year. Today I crossed your name off the register. Good to see you are going to do something with your life. You will work in Pak'n'Save all your life and work for minimum wage. I always knew you would be a looser Ryan you don't have what it takes to succeed. I wish you the best of luck in being the best shelf filler you can be".
All of this was said in the most sarcastic tone. When I said I am only working here until my course starts at college. He replied "what are you doing? you gonna be a panel beater?... Before I had a chance to respond he walked off.
This was the kind of comment that has given me the inspiration to succeed. Although he didn't mean to he was great help. I thought to myself I will show him.

For the past few weeks I have had teachers coming up to me and congradulating me on my exam results. I was like...they are ok could have been better. In which they responded you got the best results in your year level. These comments made all the hard work extremely satisfying.

So on Monday I will begin a new chapter in my life and I am determined to succeed and be the best I can be.

Sorry about the long post but once I started I felt I should contribute to this post. Hopefully one day I will sit left seat on a commercial airliner.

Take care,
Ryan Healey

Great posts, you guys. Mrivc, I'm not sure what everyone was arguing about, but pick a topic on this forum and we'll fight about it
smirk.gif
. Anyway, I get what you're saying and more power to you. It will be a pleasure to see you fellas succeed.

I think if you look at most success stories, you'll sometimes see a combination of "rotten teacher:good parent(s)" or "rotten parent(s):good teacher".

I think what was my turning point is when my high school English teacher more or less laughed at me when I said I wanted to be an airline pilot and suggested I look into something "more realistic". To this DAY I'm still angry, albeit motivated, from that experience. And it's almost been twenty years. Just after this paragraph I felt my heart rate increase about 20 BPM.

But I was blessed with great parents because they'd tell me over and over again that if I wanted something bad enough, that I could do it. Wanting to do something doesn't mean holding your breath until success falls into your lap -- but it involves getting out there, doing the dirty work and if someone throws a barrier in your way, climbing, breaking-through or veering around it.

I'm one of those weirdos that thinks that any one of you could be President or a Doctor, or even the first person to walk on Mars if you really want to. But you've got to be willing to stare the challenge straight in the eye and "kick it's ass". And be ready to "kick it's ass" repeatedly for as long as it takes for you to reach your goal.

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you look at most success stories, you'll sometimes see a combination of "rotten teacher:good parent(s)" or "rotten parent(s):good teacher".

I think what was my turning point is when my high school English teacher more or less laughed at me when I said I wanted to be an airline pilot and suggested I look into something "more realistic". To this DAY I'm still angry, albeit motivated, from that experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! Been there, done that - got the t-shirt. My "Guidance" councilor in high school told me - and I quote: "I wouldn't think about college if I were you. You're just not college material"

Two college degrees later and working on a Commercial Pilot's rating - and that remark STILL bites me.

Now, some might say "she was just trying to motivate you."

No, she wasn't. She didn't know me. She was on old, craggly woman who never took the time to say "boo" to me during my high school years. I wasn't on the honor roll. I wasn't a three sport letterman. I was just a kid. I had average grades.

When she said "you're not college material", she thought she was doing me a favor.

If the old bat weren't dead, I'd GLADLY drive to her house and shove copies of my two diplomas........ ummmmmm.... SHOW her copies of my two diplomas and tell her where she can hang `em.
wink.gif

In todays society, she would have been fired and the school system sued.

[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing more in life that I want then to be proud of myself and everything I have achieved. I want to see a class mate from 10 years ago and for them to ask me the same question, and I will be proud of myself if I know I have done everything in my power to be the best I could be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Theres not a day that goes by and I don't think about walking into my ten year reunion and someone asking me what I do. I'd love to reply with, "I work for (insert airline name here) airlines." I'd love to see that big puzzled look on their face. Wondering how I did it. At the age of 28! Thats my goal!

On a side note, I'd love for the airline I work for now, open a Low Cost Carrier and work for them for a very long time. I wouldnt mind flying around A320's or B737's.

wow, this is a great post...you dont see this every day on JC

likewise on the 10 year reunion thing, I thought about just wearing the uniform (just kidding)

I am soooo looking foward to that day

"so Heath...are you STILL drinking beer with you buds and talking about your partying days?" my answer will be " yep, and I am also a pilot for ______ Airlines" the jaws will drop

Nice thread, been good to read everyone's experiences.

I've had great parents and great teathers. I think I need more adversity in my life or something.

Omar, saw the ride for sale. I'd love to take her off your hands but I'm about 27 5 short, IOU ok?[/random tangent]

[ QUOTE ]
"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."

- National Lampoon's Van Wilder

[/ QUOTE ]

He was quoting Jim Morrison (the Doors for all you "young punks")

Five to one, baby
One in five
No one here
Gets out alive

Back