Setback today on the way to PPL

+1 for the idea of getting more proficient in crosswinds. It's no big deal, just go practice more. For all the people talking about personal minimums--what would you say if somebody set their personal minimums at 4 knots of wind? Would you say, "that's a safe pilot," or would you be like me and say, "come on, this guy needs to get more proficient and confident."?

Depends on the person. As far as the OP goes, I would say that is a safe pilot, not yet ready for the check ride. He is aware of his limitations and until he has a chance to work on them again and improve his confidence I see no problem with him scrubbing a solo flight due to similar winds.

If a person has their PPL and was not omfortable with a 4kts crosswind I would question his instructor for allowing this skill go undeveloped. I would also say the pilot needs to go fly with another instructor and learn to handle some wind. He does not have to raise his personal minimums, if he is able to handle over 4kts but simply chooses not to, that is his option.

Back