SES & MES training.. Who's done it and where?

CFI A&P

Exploring the world one toilet at a time.
Recently I have been introduced to some people that operate various single and multi seaplanes and it looks like I will be able to do quite a bit of flying with them, so I am starting to shop around for seaplane training. I'd love to have ATP across the board but for practical purposes, I am looking to do either commercial or ATP level ratings, depending on pricing. I am near Jack Brown's, so a CP-SES for $1200 is hard to beat. What else is out there?

Who has earned these ratings and where did you earn them? Thanks.

Recently I have been introduced to some people that operate various single and multi seaplanes and it looks like I will be able to do quite a bit of flying with them, so I am starting to shop around for seaplane training. I'd love to have ATP across the board but for practical purposes, I am looking to do either commercial or ATP level ratings, depending on pricing. I am near Jack Brown's, so a CP-SES for $1200 is hard to beat. What else is out there?

Who has earned these ratings and where did you earn them? Thanks.

Depends on what you want to do with it. I got my training where I worked, So of course I'm partial. If you really plan on flying seaplanes heavily, or for a living, I would steer away from Jack's. They are great for a box to check, but ultimately, you're only going to learn enough to get you into trouble.

Just my .02

I did my SES with Jack Browns... and MES with Skip in Palm Coast (SPS).. not sure if he's still doing it though, but if not there's a dude with a Widgeon out of Spruce Creek that can do it. I only did it at the commercial level.

There's a guy in Altamonte that has a couple of Maule SES that is only a few hundred more if you want something more advanced than the cub. They have MES out of Tavarres. I would recommend an instructor, but I don't think he'll be back from Alaska until November or so. I know he does ATP in MES and I'm pretty sure SES also.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm not looking to shift gears into seaplanes full time. Definitely want to learn more than enough to get myself into trouble. I've been riding along with these seaplane guys for a few flights now, and the situation is "Get the ratings, and we can probably get you some seaplane time..." Nothing guaranteed or anything since it's part 91 contract flying. Just feeling out the idea of earning new ratings, trying out another area of aviation, flying another breed of airplanes and maybe make some money in the process. Weighing out the return on investment after spending a few thousand dollars...

No shortage of SES training here in Florida... Cubs, Huskies, C172, 180 & 185s. Found a couple of Widgeons and Twin Sea Bees too, also aware of Sheble and their Beech 18 on floats. I've heard of MES being done in AirCams but haven't found anyone that does that yet.

If thats the case, I would say go to jack's to get your foot in the door. Who ever you end up flying with will prolly re-teach you everything anyway. :)

I ASSume that because no insurance company will touch you with less than 25 hours, especially for an open pilot clause.

Also, have fun! Thats what its all about.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm not looking to shift gears into seaplanes full time. Definitely want to learn more than enough to get myself into trouble. I've been riding along with these seaplane guys for a few flights now, and the situation is "Get the ratings, and we can probably get you some seaplane time..." Nothing guaranteed or anything since it's part 91 contract flying. Just feeling out the idea of earning new ratings, trying out another area of aviation, flying another breed of airplanes and maybe make some money in the process. Weighing out the return on investment after spending a few thousand dollars...

I like your thought process! Earning new ratings and flying different aircraft builds so much more airmanship. It also affords you the opportunity to network even more. A lot of people will tell you not to waste the money, I say go for it. There is a guy I know who went to become an instructor for Brown's.. and landed a pretty sweet job flying a corporate seaplane, just from networking and what not. Not to mention seaplane flying is some of the most fun flying that you can possibly do... the only other exception being warbird aerobatics.

Many potential employers may not value additional ratings as much as they should... But, if you want to challenge yourself as a pilot and enjoy aviation... go for it.

I did my ASES with Waterwings Seaplane on Lake Martin near BHM. It was a little more money than Jack Browns ; however I learned a lot and it was a lot of fun. I am planning on getting my AMES early next year with H20 flight in their Widgeon.

Back