Seniority??

jwolkenb

Hey All,

Is your work schedule based on seniority?

How does the seniority system work? If you transfer from one facility to another, does your seniority go straight to the bottom?

Thanks!

Hey All,

Is your work schedule based on seniority? You do get better days (day) off the more seniority you have.

How does the seniority system work? In a nutshell, the date you're hired is your seniority date. If two people have the same hiring date at the same facility then (I believe) the time you have been at the facility is taken into account If you transfer from one facility to another, does your seniority go straight to the bottom? no

Thanks!

I am sure someone with more knowledge of the Union by-laws could correct me if I am wrong. I don't worry about it, I'm 13th in Seniority at A80 and in a year or so I'll probably be 1st as I'll be the last one left:panic:.

Hey All,

Is your work schedule based on seniority?

How does the seniority system work? If you transfer from one facility to another, does your seniority go straight to the bottom?

Thanks!

Seniority... probably the most touchy subject amongst controllers.

The union (NATCA) decides seniority and it's set in their constitution as far as how it is determined. It's done this way whether you join NATCA or not. Often at the convention this issue is raised (or changed). This years is in Miami in September... I'll be there. Hopefully some of you new guys will go...

Presently seniority is determined by bargaining unit date, basically when you report to the facility (officially join the bargaining unit). If you share the same date as someone there are tie breaks, previous military time, previous Gov't time, or a lottery pick. Bidding leave and schedules are done in seniority order. Where I work all CPC's bid on schedule's, sometimes limited's (people certified on a few positions) will bid if they only have a few positions left. Trainees either bid on a separate schedule or are just assigned schedule's similar to their trainers.

Your seniority is your seniority, where ever you go your bargaining unit date goes with you. So ... you have 20 years in and transfer you'll have good seniority almost where ever you go.

Many centers have a lot of seniority... the top 10 people in my area are all 1984 hires and earlier.

One of the first things I have learned in OKC is that EVERYONE knows what their retirement date is at all times.

I'm planning on buying back retirement time with my military service... will that effect seniority at all?

In the PASS "Tech Ops" union your SCD "Service Computation Date", is your seniority. PASS is a bargaining unit also. If you buy back your military time it is computated on your SCD. If you look at your pay stub it will show it in the top right corner I believe. I don't know how NATCA does it but it should be close to the same in seniority. I know it was a big deal with us at ZHU Environmental unit and they had to go by the SCD for everything from time off, training, etc. I have 13 years already and 7 with the FAA but just recently switched over from Tech Ops to ATC so I hope my seniority follows.

Back