Self fueling; yes....SDL again!

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an interesting story concerning an air ambulance service based at KSDL and the fact that KSDL has revoked their "privilege" to use the self fueling island at the western end of the airport. KSDL futher says that only aircraft based at KSDL may use self-fueling and need a permit to do so, transient aircraft must purchase from the FBOs. KSDL again....figures.

My question is this: Since when has using the self-fuel islands become restricted like this? Granted it's been a while since I've flown civilian, but self-fuel was always something everyone could use. I still believe tha the self-fuel at KDVT doesn't have these same restrictions, or am I wrong?

http://www.azcentral.com/community/scottsdale/articles/1004sr-revoked04Z8.html

Mike D,

I've never seen this. I haven't around that part of the country, but here in the southeastern states, and along the Atlantic seaboard, self fueling is open to pretty much everyone! Anytime I go on a long trip, that's one of the things that I plan my fuel stops on. There's nothing like that $50 callout fee to get gas at 0300!!!

Maybe it's just their way of making a few extra buck.... Think that it may be an insurance issue?? Interesting...

uhhh... so if there's no self-fueling at KSDL and your coming into the valley on a very low tank and really need to stop - then your just sh*t outta luck????

how is that possible - wouldnt it be against the law or something to say that "we know your low on gas, but you can't fuel here so you'll have to keep going to the next station".. in which case - in a car, if you run out of gas, your on the side of the road - no big deal.. but in an aircraft, it's an entirely different story....

makes me wonder if mabye there isn't a loophole in there somehting for emergencies or what not? and wonder what the deal is with them making an example out of the emergency ambulance - they do good deeds for people who need/want to live.... who are they (KSDL) to say that the air ambulance can't make a stop there?? that's ridiculous!!

scottsdales getting too snobby

FBO's will still fuel you, but the option of saving a buck or two by self-serve at the airport went away -- or something.

Which is tragic because there's not much difference between filling a container for your lawn mower and putting gas in a piper. Same concept actually, but I usually spilled more gas filliing up the can than I did while filling a Cessna.

Isn't the issue is that they drew from a city-managed facility that sells fuel for below retail rates? I don't think this means your plane can't get gas. Just has to come from the right facility, no?
confused.gif

I've never heard of an airport doing that. Prettly lame. In fact, I'd always fly over to Indiana to Starke Co. in Knox to fill up at their self serve pump. It was $1.75/gal for the longest time. Just went up to $1.95... Still not bad for 100LL!

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
FBO's will still fuel you, but the option of saving a buck or two by self-serve at the airport went away -- or something.

Which is tragic because there's not much difference between filling a container for your lawn mower and putting gas in a piper. Same concept actually, but I usually spilled more gas filliing up the can than I did while filling a Cessna.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this is the first I've heard of only based aircraft being able to use the self-serve fuel. Only at KSDL. Again, does anyone if KDVT is doing the same thing with their self-serve fuel islands at Cutter Aviation?

This is royal BS.

Screw Scottsdale.

Nope. Every airport I've been to aroundthe valley self serve is just that self serveand open to anyone/everyone.

I'd like to know how SDL plans on enforcing it - aside from putting some sort of ID card mechanism on the pump.

Total B.S.

I guess the FBOs were b*tching that they were being undercut by the self-serve and coupled with the fact that SDL has a bad rep with piston-types anyway (meaning it's avoided by us bug-smasher drivers if at all possible) the combined "hit" was probably getting noticable.

B.S.? Yep.
Surprise? Not really.
frown.gif

Back