Self Examining Authority?

Status
Not open for further replies.

popaviator

Quick question.....the flight school I work at just got self examining authority. Now to obtain self examing authority the school needs something like an 80 percent pass rate...right? But now they are saying that the pass rate will be all pass. As in, if a student fails it doesn't count against the CFI or count as a fail. Also if the CFI is trying to get an 80 percent pass rate for his gold seal....no can do? IDK, I'm a little confused about the whole self examining authority deal. If any one can shed some light.....:bandit:

When I worked at a school with self examining authority, the checkride was treated the way you are talking about. If the student passed, great. If not, they logged it as a training flight.

Same thing when I worked in part 141. As far as the FAA was concerned all the students passed. A failure would be handled internally. So it's great for instructors, I guess....you get 100% pass rate. You wouldn't have to indicate a failure in your CFI records.

The student pass rate actually counts towards the school not the CFI as well. You better double check with the FSDO to make sure that you can count that towards your Gold Seal.

They have to have a certain level of pass rate before being given self-examining authority, after that they can get observed by the POI/etc.

...so if the student passes, then great. If not, it's a training flight :confused:

Doesn't sound like that's the way the FAA works to me. There has to be a point where the training stops and the evaluation begins. It's not a checkride if there's no possibility of failure. If the FAA sees a 100% pass rate with a school never handing out pink slips, wouldn't that raise a red flag with the FSDO?

...so if the student passes, then great. If not, it's a training flight :confused:

Doesn't sound like that's the way the FAA works to me. There has to be a point where the training stops and the evaluation begins. It's not a checkride if there's no possibility of failure. If the FAA sees a 100% pass rate with a school never handing out pink slips, wouldn't that raise a red flag with the FSDO?

:yeahthat:

I mean I know nothing about this, but this seems like it'd be kinda sketchy

I worked at a school with self examining authority. The students passing will not count towards the gold seal. If I were you, I'd look for another flight school to work at. Self examining authority is the biggest crock of BS the FAA has come up with.

And yes, self examining authority is authorized by many FSDO's, with nary a pink slip issued. I watched a guy who almost busted VNY's airspace. He busted the oral 3 times, then busted the flight twice. He should have never been given a pilot certificate. Poo poo in self examiner's!

Sorry to bump an old thread. My school has examining authority now...except I never had a chance to use it until my multi add on xride to save money. I was wondering if I could log the multi xride as PIC time or not? Can't find it in the regs but they told me not too because it's technically a "suggestion for a certificate" to the FSDO even tho I was evaluated as PIC? I'm just confused.

I also can understand why you guys hate the idea. Not sure I'm a fan but maybe because I've done my private, instrument, commercial with a real examiner. I will say my multi add on even with examing authority was much harder than any of my other xrides. The chief who was doing ours took it very seriously that he was going to approve me for a certificate and be under his name. That being said I'm sure it depends on the professionalism of the individual.

Holy necropost batman. This is from 09.

I've never understood why "necroposts" were considered bad. I think there's a lot of forum culture that's deleterious to the very function of the forum, and harmful to the community that develops around it.

"Necroposting" should be celebrated, not treated with scorn and horror—it indicates that the things people took the time to say are still relevant, not just lost to the aether, and it promotes a rich depth that otherwise would be lost in transience.

Just my 0.013729¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back