Selected for AT-ACT

kiloalpha

So a few months ago (May) I sent in an app to become an ATC. Today, I received an email saying that I've been accepted to take the test. I've been reading the study material about the test, but I'm wondering what all the acroynms mean and the process post-test.. Thanks!

Hi and congratulations! I just took the test in April and passed. I have received my TOL and am waiting for an academy date. The test is not bad, so don't stress. I bought the book with the cd. I would advise that you practice the cd and are able to do the math questions. They dont ask you anything about acronyms. You don't have to have any air traffic control knowledge, I didn't. Oh the CD is harder then the actual test and you have more time at the actual test.

So a few months ago (May) I sent in an app to become an ATC. Today, I received an email saying that I've been accepted to take the test. I've been reading the study material about the test, but I'm wondering what all the acroynms mean and the process post-test.. Thanks!

Well here is a link for some acronyms http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-traffic-control/69664-acronyms-and-glossary-of-terms.html

Process post-test to the best of my knowledge:

Wait for your score to be sent from Robinson Aviation to the folks in the FAA so they can be posted on your ASAP application. All you can do is wait and watch.

Once your score is posted, you will then wait until the referral board meets and makes the decisions on which applications to refer and which ones to deny. Again for this you just have to wait and watch ASAP. Usually there is a post somewhere here when someone finds out the date that the board is meeting. So you get some form of a timeline.

If you are referred, I think what they do now is send out a geo pref email (is that right some of you newer pubnat folks?) and you respond to that.

Eventually you are contacted and offered 1 or more locations (tower, enroute, tracon) and you tell them which one you want. Here you wait and watch again until you are asked if you want to attend a PEPC (Pre-employment processing center). You say yes or no and then you wait and watch for a pepc date.

You get a pepc date, you go to the pepc and jump through all the hoops and fill out more paperwork that by this time should seem all too familiar. You will either pass all the stuff here or not. If everything goes well, you will get a TOL (tentative offer letter) and a possible class start date...just ignore that date imo. You will then go home and wait for your medical, psych, and reference forms to be sent out and returned to your HR rep. This is what people refer to as waiting for their clearances to get turned in.

After all your clearances are in and your HR rep has them in his/her hand, they will begin assigning class dates based on whose clearances they received first. When they get to your name, they will call you and tell you that they have this or that class date for you. You will then decide on a class date and affirm that your going still. About 1-2 weeks later you will get an email with more forms to fill out...this is your electronic FOL (Final offer letter). Shortly after that you should receive your physical FOL in the mail along with some info about OKC.

Once you get your class date through the phone, make some reservations in OKC...the sooner the better.

Go to class, learn to atc and live happily ever after...:sarcasm:

Too be sure this is not all inclusive, but its the best I can tell you and I am sure other people will add their 2 cents.

Hey thanks for the info! I just realized I wrote AT-ACT not SAT... oh well!

I've always wanted to be on the other side of the radio for some reason. And it's a whole lot safer to be on the ground and the pay is much better than pushing boxes from KC to St. Louis everyday... lol!

Yeah, for starters, you'll probably want to make sure to call it by the correct name... although at least you weren't too far off.

For study materials, I'd recommend the Green Book (being about the only commercial prep product you can). Also, some guy wrote up a long guide to the AT-SAT that you might find helpful.

Finally... check out the Application Process sub-forum, where threads like these more properly belong. You'll find more specific help there.

Good luck! When's your test date?

Test date is the 22nd in OK City! I'm pretty excited and scared at the same time. I've been reviewing the posts on the test since I'm pretty much doing nothing in St Louis while I wait on cargo....

Definitely study up on your D=RT equations and learn the rules or suggestions on how to solve the analogies. Those were the most difficult questions imo.

Back