Segment on go-arounds

ohioaviator

what are all of your thoughts regarding this segment. i don't know, but to me it appears the "catastrophic accident waiting to happen" wasn't the go-around but the fact there were two planes on the same runway. I mean, last time I checked aren't go-arounds a practiced flight maneuver? don't get me wrong, i agree there should be a standardized procedure for for issuing/controlling the go-around but to me I felt this passenger (and the segment) blew this thing out of proportion just a bit.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=8652980&ch=4226713&src=news

A little overglamorized.

It's pretty simple. Be prepared for go-arounds, missed approaches and rejected landings when you least expect it.

:yeahthat:... The guy who was "Scared for his life" because of a "fast climb" should probably just take a bus. But, I suppose that one controller had a good point on "standardizing" the process? I wonder how that would be done?

"Climb to 2,500 at precisely 3000 ft/min, wave out the left window, turn 060 with the other hand, and contact approach for 4 o'clock tea, so long."

Oh, and Doug, I love your "join date." Congrats on inventing the internet :)

Oh the Humanity!! :banghead:

[yt]Eu9KLV6xUpc[/yt]

Scongdon, I think the controller is probably referring to a standard for triggering the go around, not how it is executed.

Yeah, I was wondering which it was... the procedure or the reasoning. I'm not a pilot, but aren't the only possibilities:

A.) Runway traffic
B.) Missed approach / overshoot?

A big reason for go-arounds is spacing problems and different speeds of different aircraft. Thats why on final you will sometimes see large jets doing s-turn so they do not have to go around. This segment blows it way out proportion.

Or when Atl TWR instructs a 737 holding short of 27L to "expedite" his crossing and continue taxing to 28. . .and his "expedite" is still taking about 20 damn seconds to cross the runway with a certain CRJ on extremely short final (coming over I-285). . .

Whatever. . .####### I say. Hurry the #### up.

Nevertheless. . . this passenger. . .boo friggin hoo. Shut the hell up.

where I went to school a gal camped on the runway doing a touch and go causing a fedex 727 to GA. The guy clicked the mike, and in the slowest southern drawl said "Maam, do you have any idea how much it costs to go around in a seven twenty-seven" lol.
Different scenario than a large apt like ATL or wherever of course.

A.) Runway traffic
B.) Missed approach / overshoot?

Pretty much. I only ever had to tell someone to make a go around ONCE. There was a 60 on final almost to the numbers and a Cessna on the opposite end of the runway on takeoff roll. The pilot of the Cessna decided he didn't have to contact tower... :panic:

So anyway, to the main topic -the passenger should be happy they did a go around and his sorry @$$ is still alive!

Back