Security in the Cockpit......Martial Arts?

Athena

I am curious about with all the talk of security if my interest in martial arts would be of use as a pilot. I know the space is limited. I am curious if it would help a bit when interviewing for a job. Maybe I have just heard too much fecal matter from CNN and 20/20. Any opinions?????

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious about with all the talk of security if my interest in martial arts would be of use as a pilot. I know the space is limited. I am curious if it would help a bit when interviewing for a job. Maybe I have just heard too much fecal matter from CNN and 20/20. Any opinions?????

[/ QUOTE ]

The Vulcan death grip might be useful. Or the Mandible Claw.

That would probably help you, but I'm not someone who is an expert on the subject.
wink.gif

I think the pressure points would be very useful. You can use them to break bones, cause unconsciousness and even death. No need for a gun there. They would work in close quarters as well. Maybe the TSA should encourage that instead of 9mms.

Heh, funny you mention that. About 30 seconds ago, the news ran a clip about a local 14 year old kid who killed his friend in less than 15 sec. with some kind of headlock. Ooops...

Having a blackbelt would definitely have to be a plus when going for any interview especially with an airline. One of the main reasons I decided to take up martial arts is just for something extra to good on my resume. In December I'll finally be taking the BIG 9 hour test for my black belt! Can't wait!
grin.gif

However, I've never been in a situation where I have had use my knowledge to defend myself, and I doubt there is even a chance where you would get in a situation where you would have to use it in the cockpit! But I guess it's good to have one "JUST IN CASE...".

Oh man, you know martial arts??? Youre a shoe in for a new job! only kidding

Ive watched Austin Powers a few times and i have the "Judo chop" down!!

I agree with MikeD - Vulcan Death Grip is the way to go. Or else the GI Joe King Fu Grip.

Or ... this is a stretch, remember "The Kids in the Hall" on Comedy Central???

"I'm pinching your head! I'm pinching your head!"

wink.gif

grin.gif

I think if they are gonna have us armed with weapons in the future i think we should have the short samurai swords that can cut silk without tearing a thread. It would slice a terrorist like a knife through hot butter. Looks more intimidating too.

[ QUOTE ]
The Vulcan death grip might be useful. Or the Mandible Claw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely the Crane, Daniel-san...

99% ofthe martial arts out there won't do much good in the confines of a cockpit.

Martial artsthat have been adapted or tained for in the setting of a cockpit could do some good. But if someone is comingthrough the door chances are they have a weapon of somekind and, while yes, you train to defend yourself unarmed against armed attackers in martial arts (in some cases) you're already at a disadvantage. I.E. he has a gun/knife,Nail Clippers and you don't.

I'm all for martial arts (seeing as I teach it) but it's not an end-all, be-all solution. Nor are guns in the cockpit.

I'd like to master the art of makin' a guy's head explode just by looking at him... I think that could come in handy in a situation like that.

It can be done ...

Just recite the GOP party line to the guy!
grin.gif

Bada Bing. Tap, Tap .... this thing on?

Back