Security CL - contacting current employer.....

gimpfest

Quick question for all who have this part already cleared -

(and of course, sorry if its been covered, but I didnt see it anywhere)

When they start sending out letters to check ref - do they contact your current employer? Do they send a letter to the person listed as current supervisor? - Anyone have a boss surprised by this?

Also - if you list someone as "a person who knows you well" and the same person for an address ref - I think they both get letters - does this turn into a problem? Can someone be a ref in more than one place?

Thanks -

They do send a letter with questions to your current employer. The letter goes to the address where you work, and to the attention of your supervisor. I let everyone who I list know what was going on so they wouldn't be suprised. One of mine was actually contact by phone because I worked there twice and I guess they wanted clarification.

If you list a person more then once they will get a letter for each item they are confirming. They have to fill out all of them and send them back. Not a problem, just more paper work.

Also, they prefer the people you are listing as personal references aren't listed anywhere else.

When they start sending out letters to check ref - do they contact your current employer? Yes. Do they send a letter to the person listed as current supervisor? Yes. - Anyone have a boss surprised by this? Not in my case. I gave my boss a heads up about it.

Also - if you list someone as "a person who knows you well" and the same person for an address ref - I think they both get letters Yes. - does this turn into a problem? I don't believe so. Can someone be a ref in more than one place? I've read on these forums that it has beed done so I wouldn't worry.

-

When I got back from the PEPC in Memphis I found out my supervisor was suspended and a week later we were told she was no longer with the company. I can't get in touch with my contact that was listed on my TOL. I know the 2 letters were delivered to my current employer today and one was addresses to my old supervisor and both were sent to HR. Is there anything I should do about the letter that was addressed to my old supervisor?

Thanks for the info everyone - this is not good news.
I was hoping to now say anything to my boss - but now I should probably bring it up in a gentle way.

What’s ironic is that your TOL says not to take any actions that would affect your current employment status, but either you give them a heads up or the FAA will let them know for you when they send these letters out.

Do you end up filling out another work history profile or reference profile when you go to the PEPC?

First, i have a new job since graduating college and it isnt on the application I filled out.
Also, I am curious what happens if the supervisor doesnt even remember you? I put down a lady who I worked for while doing federal work study while in college...it was one of those 12 hours a week jobs and she has about 30 employees under her a semester....and she has had probably 200 students work for her since I was there...

You have to fill out an SF-86 if your going to enroute or SF-85 if going to terminal (These are the application for security clearances). They'll email you these to fill out before hand (or you can google them to get a head start) and then at PEPC you'll complete an electronic version. Don't worry about the application, thats only to see if you meet the work experience requirement.

As far as your supervisor not remembering you, well all she's got to do is verify that you work there, she can opt out of the character questions by filling in the bubble that says I don't know this person well enough. You can't control that, and it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Wait, seriously?

I was told that they just sent it for employment verification.

Otherwise, I'd imagine that in a lot of cases the current employer may not be that happy that you're in the process of trying to leave. In fact, I'm shocked at how nonchaulant many of you are about telling your current supervisors.

If and when my company finds out, I'm going to have a major issue that will probably end with me losing my job.

When I called my previous employers to verify my dates of employment, I also asked about there procedure when the OPM Office contacts them via phone or mail. Most of my employers said that they are usually contacted by mail and that it is there company policy for everything to go through the local or corporate HR office. They said they receive a form to fill out with some questions on it but they refuse to answer most of the questions. The only one they answer is the question that pertains to verifying your work history, as in the dates your worked there.

I spoke to my current employer, who said the same thing. The Hr rep mentioned that if my current supervisor receives any information he is to send it to HR. If he does not send it to HR and decides to fill the form out himself he will be terminated immediately.

Wait, seriously?

Otherwise, I'd imagine that in a lot of cases the current employer may not be that happy that you're in the process of trying to leave. In fact, I'm shocked at how nonchaulant many of you are about telling your current supervisors.

If and when my company finds out, I'm going to have a major issue that will probably end with me losing my job.

Why in the world are you working there to begin with? I have never worked somewhere I have not felt comfortable saying to my boss that I'm exploring other options. If they have a problem then it's just what it is, their problem. Sounds like you're making the right choice.

Wait, seriously?

No, I hear you - I for one would rather wait for everything to be final before even mentioning it - depending on the type of position you currently have things can change dramatically for you even if they know your just "looking" let alone far enough in a process to be having the OPM checking up on you......

I'm kind of hoping to slide through the cracks on this one. I initiated a security clearance using the E-quip system with my current employer a few months back. I'm thinking that this is the reason that I didn't have to do the security portion at Memphis PEPc. I think that they are piggybacking off of the clearance that I was already running, and my supervisor wasn't alerted to anything.

Back