Seattle and Lake Tahoe

rausda27

I am going on vacation next week and I am going to Seattle followed by lake Tahoe. My wife has agreed to let me drag her along to one Aviation related venues...Boeing Factory Tour or Museum of Flight...for those of you that have been, if you had to pick one..which one would you chose...thanks..as far as Lake Tahoe..I guess there isnt really much to do except eat, ski and look at the lake...

I would do the factory tour. I think that would be the coolest. Don't forget you can go to reno too while in Tahoe.

[ QUOTE ]
You can swin in the lake - it is the same tempurature all year round.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah....frigid.

There's no snow in Tahoe to speak of yet, my Tahoe friends are all planning trips to Utah to ski.

Go to Seattle.

I grew up in Tahoe and would not recommend swimming in the lake this time of year! (hypothermia) What side of the lake will you be lodging? Aloft is right about the skiing being subpar since no big storms have hit.

The Museum of Flight is the way to go, if you are truly interested in aviation. The Boeing factory tour isn't what it used to be, in the last few years there isn't nearly the activity up there in Everett. And, speaking of Everett, its a bummer of a drive if you are staying in Seattle. Rush hour never ends up here. The Concorde is currently residing at the museum, and if you are really dying to see some Boeing planes, well, they're all around Boeing Field (where the museum is!)

If you need anymore gouge on things to do in Seattle - in the rain (what are you thinking?) give me a holler.

Tom
cirkus36@hotmail.com

If you are into gambling, there is plenty of that in South Lake Tahoe along with the nightlife. Are you going to be in North or South Lake?

An interesting factoid for you skiers/pilots: I never realized that the Squaw Valley VOR sits on top of the Palisades (some pretty sick cliffs that skiers and snowboarders jump off when the conditions are right). I flew over the VOR on the way to Nevada a couple weeks ago and there it was. I ski there quite a bit and never put 2 + 2 together. In my pre flying (read that younger) days, I had the legs, stamina and lack of brains to hike up there and ski (fall) down the mountain. Didn't realize until I flew over it a few weeks ago what that little building was for!

Back to the topic at hand, if you are going to ski, bring your rock skis or rent. There is enough snow to get your ski legs back but nothing spectacular. The season is still young. Enjoy your trip!

[ QUOTE ]
There's no snow in Tahoe to speak of yet, my Tahoe friends are all planning trips to Utah to ski.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had rain up to 10,500ft the other day. The snow isn't great here either.

A quote from yesterday's Avalanche report "Yesterday’s strong winds and airborne water droplets closed the final chapter on our stellar early season conditions.  With more variety of crusts than a French bakery, good turns are getting harder to find in the mountains . . . . ."

Museum of flight would be my choice if I only had time to do one or the other....I've done both.

There is too snow at lake tahoe. I just went snowboarding at Heavenly yesterday. They have 7 lifts open and are making snow nearly every night.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because they're spoiled. They do live in Tahoe, after all. Anyone who hasn't skied out west much (me) will be completely satisfied by the current conditions. I'm heading up to Heavenly tomorrow; they've got a fair amount open already.

Viper...where do you fly out of in SAC? Have you been getting out at all in the beautiful weather we've been getting the last few days?

-Zach

I work at Skywalk at KSAC. I went flying the other night before the fog set in. I've been to Heavenly twice this season thanks to my midweek season pass! The best snow is on the upper Nevada side off of Dipper Express and Comet Express. I'm going again probably monday.

Back