Seat Weights??

Jason

I've heard the term 'max seat weight' used regarding some of the lighter helicopters but I've never actually seen it listed when looking at some of the various helicopters 'specs' - is it common to have a max seat weight?? What is a typical max seat weight?? And finally, why is there a max seat weight?? I'm assuming it has something to do with stability or load distribution??

Juast curious - thanks,

Jason

It has alot to do with the cg. Helicopters have to deal with lateral cg. Also, in the case of the Robinsons it has to do with the crush rating of the seat. The seat frame is designed to give at certain crashes and heavier weights can make it give faster. It should be listed in the POH under the limitations section.

Haven't flown a helicopter that small in a long time, but from what I remember it has everything to do with lateral CG.

Thanks for the info....actually my brother and I are looking for a "winter project" and have come up with the hairbrained scheme of building a kit plane which has given way to building a hit helicopter but I've heard that the one we were looking at only has a max seat weight of 180 pounds but I haven't been able to verify that with the company yet.

Jason

Back