Seat Belts

Sidious

Does 91.107 "Use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, and child restraint systems" apply to Flight Crew members as well or are they covered by 91.105 "Flight crewmembers at stations"?

I ask because I always saw Pilots under 91.105 and PAX under 91.107

Pilots need seat belts and shoulder harness during- Takeoff, landing, but only lap belt enroute. 91.105

PAX need seat belts and shoulder harness during- Taxi, Takeoff, Landing. 91.107

Does 91.107 apply to Flight Crew members as well or are they covered by 91.105

I read 91.107 to apply to everyone. Note that it doesn't require compliance, only that they be told to buckle up by the PIC. However, 91.105 requires that it actually be done by the flight crew.

I read 91.107 to apply to everyone. Note that it doesn't require compliance, only that they be told to buckle up by the PIC. However, 91.105 requires that it actually be done by the flight crew.

Good point. So do you think pilots need seat belts on during taxi? Per 91.107 they do

Good point. So do you think pilots need seat belts on during taxi? Per 91.107 they do

No. 91.107 only requires that the PIC ensure that everyone has been told to fasten his safety belt. It doesn't require that he ensure the seat belts are actually fastened, which could be difficult.

No. 91.107 only requires that the PIC ensure that everyone has been told to fasten his safety belt. It doesn't require that he ensure the seat belts are actually fastened, which could be difficult.

I guess what I was getting at was if the crew needed seat belts during taxi. Sine 91.105 doesnt mention it then I thought they didnt.

I see what you are saying about notifying Vs. actually verifying.

This is something I read from AOPA which led me to believe that 91.107 applies only to PAX and thus pilots do not need to buckle up during taxi.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Few private pilots realize that, according to FAR 91.107, Use of Safety Belts, Shoulder Harnesses, and Child Restraint Systems, the pilot in command of any aircraft, except for airships and balloons, must ensure that all passengers are briefed on how to fasten and unfasten their seat belts and shoulder harnesses (if installed). The pilot must also ensure that all passengers have been notified to fasten their seat belts and shoulder harnesses before the aircraft begins to move and before takeoff or landing.

FAR 91.105, Flight Crewmembers at Stations, requires crewmembers to keep their seat belts fastened, but it only requires that the shoulder harness be fastened during takeoff and landing.

91.107 applies only to PAX

The regulation doesn't say that, it says "each person", so arguably, the PIC should tell other flight crew members to buckle up, too. Whether they actually need to do so would be governed by 91.105. (That's how I read it.)

The regulation doesn't say that, it says "each person", so arguably, the PIC should tell other flight crew members to buckle up, too. Whether they actually need to do so would be governed by 91.105. (That's how I read it.)

Thats along the lines I was thinking- that they (the crew) should be notified but they may not actually need to do so.

Back