SE ADD-ON and BFR

swisspilot

Quick question a friend asked me.

So my friend is out of a BFR since last Apr, he recently started flying again and doing training for his ASEL CPL, he currently holds a AMEL CPL.

Can he still do the CK-ride and count it as a BFR while being out of the 2 years?

Was it ok to do the training portion of the ADD-ON without a current BFR?

The hours he did so far on SE for training do they count as PIC?

I just wanna make sure I tell him the right thing, it`s been long time for me since I last had to worry about this stuff.

Can he still do the CK-ride and count it as a BFR while being out of the 2 years?

Sure, but if the CFI is endorsing him for the checkride, he should certainly be able to sign him off for a flight review beforehand which might make for simpler explanations on check ride day when they ask the inevitable "show me you're current" question. If I were a DPE and someone showed up for a commercial but they/their CFI didn't complete a flight review, I'd really be scratching my head as to what was going on...

Was it ok to do the training portion of the ADD-ON without a current BFR?

Yes, a flight review is only required to act as PIC of an aircraft. The CFI was acting as PIC during the dual preparation. No problem.

The hours he did so far on SE for training do they count as PIC?

Yes, any time he was sole manipulator of controls the time can be logged as PIC per 61.51(e) as long as he holds a Private SEL (must be rated for the aircraft). He wasn't acting as PIC (since he didn't have a current flight review), but that doesn't matter for logging the time.

I've done BFRs longer than 2 years apart, just no flying inbetween. Definately have a current BFR before the checkride, the checkride itself counts in lieu of a BFR so you are good for 2 years afterwards anyway.

Back