schools for cfi??

aa747

Hi there,
I am an international student looking to do my cfi/cfii initial.
I just thought it would be a nice place to ask for a good cfi/ii school in the houston,etc. area.
I am looking at 2 places right now,
- one is mvp aeroacaddemy in conroe, tx (www.mvpaeroacademy.com)
- the other is colorado contrails, in colorado (www.theflyingschool.com)

I am considering the one in colorado because a friend of mine went there and got his cfi certificate in one month from scratch.
For myself, I have done a lot of ground training with a few friends, prepared lesson plans, given my FOI & FIA knowledge test and done my spin training and endorsement.

I am looking specifically for some place with accelerated training.
look forward to your replies.

Not that I in any way endorse, or approve of it, but I think ATP has some pretty quick crash courses for CFI.

(probably a bad expression to use...sorry not intentional)

I just ran across this site CFI CARE.NET in Houston on the David Hooks airport. I have no idea about this school, just thought you might want to check them out. Good luck with your training.

If you don't mind the difference in location (which I'm assuming you don't because you mentioned going to Colorado) I'd highly suggest the CFI Academy at American Flyers. There is one in Santa Monica, California (the one I went to) as well as Houston, Texas and Ft. Worth along with numerous other locations throughout the country (though I can only vouche for the Santa Monica location because that's the only one that I attended). In 31 days I had my CFI/CFII. They quoted me 30 days so I asked for a refund:sarcasm:

I recently had a look at the http://www.cficare.net/html/about_us.html website and was pretty impressed. A 92% first time pass rate is very impressive for the initial.

The thing about the CFI is that it is mostly studying and knowledge, and by the sounds of things, it seems like you have made a good start. If you were to read, and thoroughly understand, the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, the Airplane Flying Handbook, the FAR/AIM and the new Aviation Instructors Handbook you would be golden from the knowledge point of view. At which point you could find yourself an experienced CFI and get proficient at flying the maneuvers from the right seat and teaching them at the same time, and I honestly think you will be good to go.

The main value of doing CFI academy type groundschools is being able to practice teaching infront of others and geting critiqued, and then doing the same for them. However, if you are self motivated, driven and can study well on your own then I would suggest you could save a lot of money by DIYing it.

If you are considering going to a school for it, the CFI Academy at American Flyers is generally very highly considered. In addition, I only have good things to say about Dutch Wings at Houston Southwest (AXH). I didn't do my CFI with them, and I know nothing about their CFI course (http://www.dutchwingsflightschool.com/cfi.html) but the price is excellent for 10hrs Dual in the Arrow plus 25hrs ground, and I do have experience with a couple of their CFIs, both of whom were excellent.

I addition, once you are ready for your checkride, I hope the FSDO don't mess you around with booking it. I have been waiting two weeks just to get a date.

Good luck!

In addition, I only have good things to say about Dutch Wings at Houston Southwest (AXH). I didn't do my CFI with them, and I know nothing about their CFI course (http://www.dutchwingsflightschool.com/cfi.html) but the price is excellent for 10hrs Dual in the Arrow plus 25hrs ground, and I do have experience with a couple of their CFIs, both of whom were excellent.

Thanks Chris.

Does this mean I can go ahead and schedule you for your MEI when the Seneca is back online?

We may be able to do your CFII and your MEI in 15 hours in the Seneca. Good luck on Friday.

If your looking into CFI, Aclanproair in Hayward CA. We have a 172RG and can get a student done with the intial in 2-3 weeks.

Back