schedule

fly1

could someone provide some insight into major airline schedules (a sample of a monthly schedule) from southwest and the legacies

why are some pilots saying qol is not as good as it was pre 9/11

why is netjets qol better if they are going away 5-7 days at a time
also do legacy pilots receive and build up hotel points like netjets pilots

thanks

could someone provide some insight into major airline schedules (a sample of a monthly schedule) from southwest and the legacies

thanks

You didn't ask for a JetBlue schedule but I'll provide my input anyway.

I just got my schedule for September. I am doing six days of military so my total hours are lower than normal. Other than that I am working 10 days and have 59.3 hours. That's just under 6 hours per day. I'm pretty happy with it. All my trips are commutable on both sides.

Your schedule will depend on several factors. The biggest one is probably seniority. The next is a matter of how you bid. If you want weekends off, you may pay for it by having to make up hours somewhere else. I like to do 4-day trips to minimize my number of commutes and don't usually request weekends off. I also bid for trips that are commutable and productivity. Sometimes when I need a "vacation" I'll bid for layovers, such as Aruba or St. Maarten, or an occassional Jimmy Buffett concert. I am at about top 45% in base and do pretty well bidding -good enough anyway- as far as I'm concerned.

I've only been an airline guy for 2.25 years so I can't speak on pre 9/11 QOL stuff.

To sum it up, I normally get about 14-15 days off and credit 80-85 hours.

thanks

So lets go the regional life. This month I have 95 credit hour line with 11 days off. Most of my trips start in the morning. At my airline most our trips start early 6am or before on your first day and end late on day four (7pm or after). This current trip I am on I will have two different trips. The first two trips I do are identical to each other. Start at 615am and get home the 4th day at 8pm. You throw into that I drive to work my first day i am up at 4am to get to base ontime. Lastly between my trips I have no more then 3 days off. Basically I go 4 days on, 3 off, 4 on, 2 off, 4 on three off and then five on 2 off. That's my schedule this month. But thats the regional life and also being at the bottom and getting bottoms lines. So this means I am roughly on the road nearly 90 hours and paid for 20 hours of the time I am on the road. :)

thanks

The 5-7 day schedule at Netjets is just one option they have. The good news is, if you pick that option, you get more days off strung together. For example, a Netjets guy might be gone for 5 days, but then home for 5 days. My schedule (regional) might have me gone for 4, home for 2, then gone for another 4. Where the Netjets guy has 5 days at home in 10 days, I only have 2. In my situation, it's pretty rare for us to be able to rack up hotel points like the NetJets guys do since the company gets the hotel rooms direct billed. From the way I understand it, Netjets gives you a corporate credit card, so you get the points.

Another point in the Netjets column is the base choices. Might not get your #1 choice right off, but there's an option to pretty much be based at home (or within driving distance) no matter where you live. Airline pilots might lose 1-2 days off at a time commuting to their domicile. Ask jtrain how many days he's been home in a month. :)

thanks

The fractionals have a better QOL for the simple fact that they work less for more money where as at the airlines you get paid by the minute instead of by the day. Plus the top fractional have excellent benefits, they don't have free travel but they can have a few mini vacations per year with all the airline and hotel points. In my opinion better than free stand by travel you get at the airlines wich you never use since you're constantly working. At NJ the first and 7th day is almost always just traveling to get to your airplane/home so in reality you are only flying 5 of 7 days wich means only 10 days per month. My buddy who is a CA at a fractional is flying some of the fastest airplanes in the world, going to interesting places, makes six figures and he rarely fly's more than 40 hours per month. If you fly 40 hours per month at the airlines that's all you're going to make if you don't have a min guaratee.

QOL at majors differ because pilots are considered an asset vs a liability which is the case at the regionals.

you might want to take a look at some of the perspective articles located in the main menu at http://www.jetcareers.com if you haven't already. there's a lot of good info on different types of schedules there.

as far as accumulating hotel points... yes, in some cases you can... in others you can't.. depends on the hotel chain most of the time.

Why is NetJets qol better if they are going away 5-7 days at a time?
7 Days away guarantees 7 consecutive days off. The company cannot and will not call you on a day off. You know your schedule a year in advance to guarantee your important days off (ie...holiday, vacation, kids days off). Each vacation period on the 7/7 is 21 consecutive days off.

NJA vs Airlines (generally speaking)
Less flight hours/yr
Better maintained (cleaner) a/c
Better benefits (company paid) /401K
Better hotels
No commuting headaches
Better crew meals
FF points accrual
Comparable pay (better pay if you factor the flight hours involved)
Better mannered passengers
Growing
Profitable

Now, fly1....Tell us about yourself. It sounds like you are gathering info for a paper.

i am in an aviation program in college and am trying to find out everything i can about different airlines and where they are going

how many ff miles do you accum per year?

Back