Scary info about pay scale

....I contacted the ZKC center in Olathe, Kansas and was told the same information.

If only the cost of living in the entire US was equal to Olathe, Kansas.

Try living on $37k in San Fran, Chicago, or NY.

:whatever:

Now, now! I grew up in Olathe and happen to kinda like it there! You guys can speak for yourselves. :D

I am dropping in here just to say one thing. Others have the same sentiment but I just want to reiterate it.

Personally, I am in this job to push tin, regardless of whether I make 40k or 140k. Ever since I have been a little boy, I have done nothing but turn skyward every single time I hear something that remotely sounds like an aircraft engine. I flown over 230 hours just in the last couple of years (kind of put on hold to save money for OKC) and enjoy every single time I am up in the sky.

I really don't know what the final push towards air traffic control was (instead of sitting in the pointy end of a jet), nor can I really justify my reasoning of not heading off to some school to finish all of my ratings and become a professional pilot. Either way, the starting off pay and lifestyle will not be glamorous by any stretch of the imagination. And frankly I don't really care what I am being paid, just so long as I can make ends meet while I am still in training.

Don't get me wrong, the six figure potential annual salary is very appealing. I just want the guy sitting next to me working the scopes doing it because he/she loves the job more than he/she loves the paycheck. Its kind of scary listening to everyone bitch about a lower salary to start (and technically finish). That to me screams "motivated by paycheck. Perhaps I am reading into it wrong?

I know I belong here in the aviation field. There is no better place than being around aviation for me. Perhaps a lower salary, but once hired in and passed all CVs at my facility, I have a job. One that I love.

zz :)

Now, now! I grew up in Olathe and happen to kinda like it there! You guys can speak for yourselves. :D

I liked living in Johnson County... however, IMO, as far as the midwest goes, it's a little expensive, especially taxes.

I miss: Dean & Deluca, Nick & Jakes (usually where I could be found).

Didn't miss: Haven't to drive to Missouri to get alcohol & cigarettes (since they are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper).

For the FAA's pay scale go to
https://employees.faa.gov/employee_s...o_locality.xls
It illustrates the pay from AG (academy graduate) to CPC by tower ratings. It is important to note that at lower level towers there is no pay increase for D1/D2.

This scale was created and implemented with the imposed work laws. It doesn't apply to the old controllers, but they lost all their annual raises. It also doesn't apply to management.

The minimum is what you will receive initially. There is an annual 3% pay increase and you can receive additional % increases based on your work. The maximum is just that... hit that number and the raises are gone.

I have a document with all the facility ratings that I can email to anyone who wants it.

Back