Scare tactics

wildfreightess

I don't really think this is the appropriate forum for this. I fear I may even come across as a little preachy, but I'm currently going through the 9th circle of Hell as I watch my boyfriend and domestic partner of 7 and a half years go through complications from triple bypass surgery. I just need to vent.

He's been a smoker for over 40 years. He wasn't obese, but he carried a few extra pounds on his frame, especially after he met me and started eating my good cooking (not "good for you" cooking).

He has a bunch of little blockages that made him a poor candidate for stents. His bypass surgery went beautifully. Then, 3 hours later, he had a heart attack and spent the next 5 days in ICU.

He also has afib. That's where the upper chambers of the heart don't quite beat in sync with the lower chambers of the heart. In his case, it results in rapid heart rate and an inefficient pump from the heart. A heart attack is when part of the heart dies. A part of his heart did die last week, and part of his heart is recovering. However, his heart will never be the same.

He never was one to exercise. He loved smoking. He wasn't obese, but he ate crap, even when I'd leave him healthy stuff.

I can't begin to describe to you how emotionally stressful this week has been. I can't imagine how terrifying it is to be in his shoes, and I never, ever want to put anyone who loves me through the hell that I've gone through.

Some people think (God knows I did), "I'd rather have a diet of cigarettes, coffee, and bacon, and die of a heart attack than live forever eating like a rabbit."

You don't just have a heat attack and die. You live through it, but you're not the same. It is extremely painful. Your quality of life is crap for a while. And, of course, your family has to suffer the pain of standing by helplessly while the most important person in their lives suffers an ungodly amount of pain.

Please take care of yourselves.

I still smoke, so I'm not really in a position to wag a finger. But I have cut way back, gotten somewhat more fit, and started to pay some slight attention to what I put in to the ole tummy. Big eye-opener for me was when I had to go in for my first EKG last medical and I started wondering whether I should try to buy some quicky loss of license insurance "just in case". And if wildfreightess was a member of the "screw it life is for the young" club, I think I was probably the President. You, too, will come to this point, dear Reader. Why not start the long, difficult process of improving your health sooner rather than later?

And D, please give my best to SC...really pulling for him. If there's anything I can do, you've got my digits.

My dad got stints in 2011 and that's pretty much what got me to start changing my eating habits. It too months but I took it slow and enjoy good food, now. Granted, I still get McDs once in a while but I avoid it as much as I can. Really, everything in moderation is best. I hear that and I do believe it because I've lived it. I may not be able to stop the inevitable future, but I will at least try to find a way to eat what my body really wants and feel good. It really does feel good to eat right. It's not an overnight feeling, but it does creep into your life and is much better than feeling resigned to the number 4, Super Size. Try it. Change a meal to something you need for a few months and let the rest of the day follow your old routine. Don't over do it on the sugar, fat, salt or processed food. Keep everything balanced and eat it at the same time, everyday and eat the same thing, everyday. You'll find yourself thinking twice about making your next meal to the contrary. If you don't think twice, you waited too long to eat again. Keep adjusting until the constant urges to eat crap nearly go away. It takes practice, failure and learning to get in tune with your metabolism but you'll find it if you really pay attention.

WF, I hope your boyfriend gets better soon.

WF, I am really sincerely sorry to read about what has happened with your mate. The only thing I can say is that it's a relief that he has hopefully made it through the worst part even though I understand that the recuperative process is going to take a long time, will most likely come in baby steps and won't be easy. I hope you both have enough family and friends to lean on right now for support, comfort and encouragement. Please come here to vent, share, whatever you need to do when you feel like it.

Things will change for both of you, but hopefully they will change in many ways for the better in the long run after all this crap is over with and you will be together for a long time. When we go through these awful circumstances, we can't believe that we will survive them or how will we survive them, but remarkably, we do. Even though we don't always feel like it, we are stronger than we realize. I know you must be on a terrible roller coaster of emotions and the stress is very wearing for you. Try to take care of yourself as best as you can during this time and get some rest when you need it. I know it's difficult. Day by day, even if it's very slow, things will get a little better. Stay strong and know that everyone who reads your post, will be thinking of you both and wishing for the best outcome.

I'm sorry to hear about his heart attack. Believe it or not, there is life after triple bypass and a heart attack. I have a friend who nearly has his first class medical back after a heart attack and triple bypass surgery. His doctor told him he could go on living like he was but he would never fly again and would be dead in 5 years or less. He quit smoking, has a healthy diet, and exercises 3-5 times a week. He has lost about 30 pounds and looks great. He also said he feels better than he has in years and is in as good of shape as he was when he was a high school athlete.

It initially is a slow road to recovery, but it can be done.

Back