Scanner donations for liveatc.net feed

pwttogfk

I just heard from the Aero Notebook helpdesk. They're willing to donate as many computers as I want for the liveatc.net feed! So, the ball's back in our court. We've secured one scanner donation and one computer donation to provide a feed of the GFK tower. If there's anyone out there willing to donate additional scanners, we now have the potential ability to cover ALL the GFK frequencies thanks to the generosity of the helpdesk! PM me for more details...see y'all in a couple weeks.

Like I said before, I would be willing to donate mine for the time that im there.( 2years) Send me a PM and we will work something out.

you know, in reality this could be a very good learning tool for the UND students here, particularly some of them who may not be familiar with english.

listening to the language more and more can only help. A+ for getting this project going.

you know, in reality this could be a very good learning tool for the UND students here, particularly some of them who may not be familiar with english.

listening to the language more and more can only help. A+ for getting this project going.

That's a big 10-4 for helping the foriegn students learn phraseology and the basic flow of operations at GFK. They could listen before they even arrive at GFK to help the learning process. Another cool thing for everyone is family and friends back home can listen to their first solo or any other time they go up which is huge for those who are from another state or country.

So far we have my scanner I'm donating and 'av8or91'(Thank you!).

My plan was to have 118.4 on one scanner, and to have 118.1 (GFK Approach) on the other. When Approach get's busy they split it off for arrivals on 121.1 so we could have both those frequencys scanning together on the one scanner. And if we get one more scanner, I could see having 120.55 on the other along with other misc. frequencys such as ZMP Center, Flight Support, Ground, and whatever else you guys would want.

Let's cross our fingers that Flight Ops gives us the green light on this.

What type of antenna do you plan on using?

Since we can locate the scanners on the airport, I'm hoping the antenna's based on the scanner will work. I brought my scanner to the tower last week and I got good reception on 118.4. I'll have to try 118.1 this afternoon when I go in.

What type of antenna do you have on your scanner?

I just have the standard paortable scanner antenna. Im not too concerned about picking up the tower freq but picking up approach might be little more challenging. If you cant get an antenna set up, maybe you might want to see if you cant get something set up inside the 5 story building. have you tried to pick up approach with your scanner from the airport?

Another update: I've been in contact with the UND Aerospace Foundation, who is also trying to put together a feed. They've already cut through the red tape and gotten approval for the feed, but they were waiting on getting some scanners. So, as soon as we get the scanners setup, we're go! I need to call Chuck Pineo (sp) back, but it sounds like we have free reign over flight ops and/or Ryan Hall to setup wherever we can get the best reception. His message was a bit sketchy on what they've already got equipment-wise, but it sounds like they may have antennas and computers earmarked for use. It sounds like this feed will be a reality, thanks to everyone who's stepped up to volunteer services and/or equipment! Thanks again!

Another update: I've been in contact with the UND Aerospace Foundation, who is also trying to put together a feed. They've already cut through the red tape and gotten approval for the feed, but they were waiting on getting some scanners. So, as soon as we get the scanners setup, we're go! I need to call Chuck Pineo (sp) back, but it sounds like we have free reign over flight ops and/or Ryan Hall to setup wherever we can get the best reception. His message was a bit sketchy on what they've already got equipment-wise, but it sounds like they may have antennas and computers earmarked for use. It sounds like this feed will be a reality, thanks to everyone who's stepped up to volunteer services and/or equipment! Thanks again!

Very good news! I'll give ya a call tomorrow so we can get those scanners in the right hands. So was this Chuck guy going to run this then and do all the software setup?

I tried listening to 118.1 from the 6th floor of the tower tonight with my scanner and it wasn't very good at all. Could hear a few planes, but nothing from the controllers at RDR. So if they got some decent antenna's to donate to the cause it would be much appreciated. Otherwise lets for sure get 118.4 up and running as soon as possible.

Awesome guys, my huge thanks for setting this up. I will have all contract students listen in once it's all set up. They need the help.

Awesome guys, my huge thanks for setting this up. I will have all contract students listen in once it's all set up. They need the help.

hell, once this is set up you should pass the link along to the ground school instructors too so they can require their students to listen to it...

hell, once this is set up you should pass the link along to the ground school instructors too so they can require their students to listen to it...
Rest assured I will also send the link to all instructors! This will be a great tool. Maybe the students can take their laptops to the wing cafe and hear/see traffic as it happens online through the feed (granted their would be a short delay, I'm sure.)

Once again, thanks guys.

Back