Saying goodbye

bimmerphile

Sidestick Wiggler
I sold my airplane share today

When I was in college working the ramp, our flight school's fleet got destroyed by a microburst and left students in the lurch with no airplanes to fly in a 141 school. I found a 1/10th share in a 172 at the same airport on craigslist and emptied my meager bank account to buy in 10 years ago. Worked 60-80 hour weeks while taking classes to afford flying, making 12 bucks an hour pumping gas at the most fun job I've ever had. I flew it all over the east coast while working on my ratings, sometimes with CFI friends who wanted time and fun adventures outside of their normal realm of the same 8 airports. Now we are all at legacies or majors, spread out all over the country and doing our own things.
It wasn't a special airplane, just a run of the mill 160 horse N with a 430, but am feeling quite sad about letting her go. I moved 300 miles away and can't justify keeping it around while I shop for something more capable and faster. But I got to know this airplane and, like an old friend, she was super reliable and never left me stranded. During covid lockdown I flew it alot in an attempt to stay current- it was a good reminder of why we all deal with the ups and downs of this industry: flight is one amazing freedom to have. I hate saying goodbyes and this was a bit of a hard pill to swallow; I had so much fun learning in this airplane and growing as a pilot, and showing the people close to me the magic of small airplanes.
Lots of great memories from my formative years. Thank you for being a reliable steed, 4DY.
20170510_113715.jpg

I think airplanes are like ships or boats. Once you spend enough time around them you gain a familiarity with that particular airplane that it seems to have a distinctive personality. I’d suggest parting ways with your trusted airborne conveyance might be equivalent to losing a good dog. You’ll get over it, but I suspect you’ll be searching flightaware keeping tabs on it.

I sold my airplane share today

When I was in college working the ramp, our flight school's fleet got destroyed by a microburst and left students in the lurch with no airplanes to fly in a 141 school. I found a 1/10th share in a 172 at the same airport on craigslist and emptied my meager bank account to buy in 10 years ago. Worked 60-80 hour weeks while taking classes to afford flying, making 12 bucks an hour pumping gas at the most fun job I've ever had. I flew it all over the east coast while working on my ratings, sometimes with CFI friends who wanted time and fun adventures outside of their normal realm of the same 8 airports. Now we are all at legacies or majors, spread out all over the country and doing our own things.
It wasn't a special airplane, just a run of the mill 160 horse N with a 430, but am feeling quite sad about letting her go. I moved 300 miles away and can't justify keeping it around while I shop for something more capable and faster. But I got to know this airplane and, like an old friend, she was super reliable and never left me stranded. During covid lockdown I flew it alot in an attempt to stay current- it was a good reminder of why we all deal with the ups and downs of this industry: flight is one amazing freedom to have. I hate saying goodbyes and this was a bit of a hard pill to swallow; I had so much fun learning in this airplane and growing as a pilot, and showing the people close to me the magic of small airplanes.
Lots of great memories from my formative years. Thank you for being a reliable steed, 4DY.
View attachment 61992

Nicely written. What about the other one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Youtube decided I needed to see this today, I've never watched any of this guys videos but I thought it was funny and would fit in this thread...

Youtube decided I needed to see this today, I've never watched any of this guys videos but I thought it was funny and would fit in this thread...
thanks for sharing, I enjoy that guys sense of humor and think he does a nice job on his videos. Same feels

Nicely written. What about the other one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The 4 is still around, partner is going to buy me out next year. Looking at something more fiberglass-y and expensive but life is short and I'm not getting younger

Back