Sallie Mae Career Training Loan

Nobody knows how to "teach for crap" until they actually do it for awhile. Actually caring about your students makes a huge difference, and will significantly cut down on time wasted for the new CFI.

There are a lot of places that will rip you off with ridiculous stage checks and drawn out flights. I'm all for stage checks during the PPL and IA training. After that, there should just be one at the end. Having multiple stage checks for a comm and/or CFI student is not that productive.

To the OP - just get your CFI for now. You will be plenty busy with that. Teach some primary students for awhile, figure out how to teach people how to fly an airplane, then get your -II. You'll probably get a very good break from your employer for the -II (they'll probably pay for it), and after you've been teaching for a couple hundred hrs, the -II is an easy checkride.

Since this "WRONG" and "RIGHT" conversation started with me, let me explain some things to JWP_145.
First of all, i agree that you dont sign off people without knowing their work. Clear with that.
Now, for myself, i have been teaching full time PPL/IR/CPL and ME ground school for long time in a well known college. Do you think i have a problem teaching? I dont think so, but im not perfect either. Do you beleive that i have to go through the whole ground school for my CFI training? I dont think so, because at this point i know more than many CFIs out there, but i do beleive that i will need 3-4 hours to review some things for the test. As for the flight portion, i spent about 50 hours practicing in a FRASCA 142 simulator in the last 2 months with another CFI who unfortunately cant sign me off because of the 2 year limitation. So, is not much for me to learn up there at this point, but i will need 5-6 hours just to feel more comfortable for the checkride.
Now, if i walk into a flight school, explaining my situation/position and they want me to start from scratch by using the Jepp syllabus from lesson 1 until the end, plus the stage checks,(all about $7000) Im sorry but THEY ARE INTO MONEY. And im not talking about part141. I want to do part 61 but they still want to use the syllabus.
SO, im asking you guy what you would do with me?
1. Teaching experience
2. Enough ground training.
3. Enough flight training.
4. Writtens out of the way.

SO, im asking you guy what you would do with me?
1. Teaching experience
2. Enough ground training.
3. Enough flight training.
4. Writtens out of the way.

1. I don't care about your previous teaching experience. If you can't teach me basic aero on the day that's planned to be taught, you've work to do.
2. See #1. If you can teach the information as a CFI, then I'm looking to see that there is record in your logbook that you have been taught the FOI, ect., ect. The important part to me is that a.) you understand it and b.) there is a LOGBOOK ENTRY
3. I would want to see you preform mans before signing you off. You better be able to teach them too.
4. Writtens don't mean #%$#@.

You not flying at all? 1100?

16 hours last month.

This is the mindset people need to get into. The days of spending 3 months on reserve and then holding a hard line are gone from the regionals, and you will make the min pay rate for a long, long time.

I'm approach my year here in about 2 weeks I'm not even close to holding a hard line, and could only snag relief lines about every other, or maybe every three months.

Back