Safety of surroundings of 901 Locust in MCI PEPC

mkeflyer

I will be at the MCI PEPC on Nov. 19th and would like to know from anyone that lives or has been to the are of 901 Locust. I will be staying at the Comfort Suites which is about 6 blocks away and had planned on walking to and from the hotel where my rental car will be kept. I figure the walk can be done in 2-3 mins. I'm wondering how safe the area is around 6:30am and 5:00pm, about the times I plan to be walking to and from my hotel. Mind you I'll be wearing a suit any info/tips would be great.

If it rains, I think a $5 cab ride would be a proper way to stay dry.

Come on, how much trouble can you get into in 2-3 minutes? Muuaaaahahahahaha!

It's more like what kind of people are out at sunrise, sunset. :hiya::D The area looks fine from overhead pics, I just wanted a real opinion.

I will be at the MCI PEPC on Nov. 19th and would like to know from anyone that lives or has been to the are of 901 Locust. I will be staying at the Comfort Suites which is about 6 blocks away and had planned on walking to and from the hotel where my rental car will be kept. I figure the walk can be done in 2-3 mins. I'm wondering how safe the area is around 6:30am and 5:00pm, about the times I plan to be walking to and from my hotel. Mind you I'll be wearing a suit any info/tips would be great.

The PEPC building is right downtown Kansas City, Missouri. It's like any "big" city's downtown area--lots of office buildings, parking garages, etc. During the week there will be lots of buisness people in the area. You should be just fine walking from the hotel to the PEPC. Make sure your feet keep moving and don't talk to any strangers! :D I'm a female and did "the walk" from hotel to PEPC in NYC. Kansas City will be a breeze.

The PEPC building is right downtown Kansas City, Missouri. It's like any "big" city's downtown area--lots of office buildings, parking garages, etc. During the week there will be lots of buisness people in the area. You should be just fine walking from the hotel to the PEPC. Make sure your feet keep moving and don't talk to any strangers! :D I'm a female and did "the walk" from hotel to PEPC in NYC. Kansas City will be a breeze.

The streets surrounding the PEPC in NYC were not very pleasant, even at 6 AM.

Like cp said, at those times of day you should be fine. Just be aware of your surroundings and avoid the bums asking for money...

LOL thanks for the obvious heads up.....sure will be a fun time getting to visit a big city. :sarcasm::sarcasm: :D:p:rawk: I survived North Philly back in September. Wrong stop makes for an interesting time. I just wanted a heads up before I hit the ground running.....which I hope I don't have to do...hehe. See some of you people down there.

I just had a meeting down at the FSDO, located down at 901 Locust. It is pretty safe during the day. But it is definitely not the best area of town. A couple of homeless shelters and definitely some shady characters hanging around those blocks (some dealers, prostitutes, etc). They pretty much will leave you alone if you leave them alone.

I've lived in KC for 23 years. That area is fine and still well within the downtown area with a decent amount of pedestrian traffic. You'll be fine. Stay west of 71 highway (especially on Independence Ave), and definitely don't venture far east/southeast of downtown (Troost or Prospect) or you'll run into some dangerous areas. Also... you won't have ANY reason to, but stay away from downtown KCK (Kansas City, KS) west of the Downtown airport. Some bad areas over there in the Quindaro area.

Long story short... downtown is safe, you'll be good. Start venturing out into the outer areas east/southeast and you'll wish you hadn't. Hope this helps.

you could always carry concealed. i don't know the laws there though. but, i ALWAYS carry concealed, legally. i don't worry about that stuff because i always feel confident i can protect myself. of course if a firefight breaks out with 10 gang bangers your screwed anyway.

i swear i would take out at least 5 before they got me.

I've lived in KC for 23 years. That area is fine and still well within the downtown area with a decent amount of pedestrian traffic. You'll be fine. Stay west of 71 highway (especially on Independence Ave), and definitely don't venture far east/southeast of downtown (Troost or Prospect) or you'll run into some dangerous areas. Also... you won't have ANY reason to, but stay away from downtown KCK (Kansas City, KS) west of the Downtown airport. Some bad areas over there in the Quindaro area.

Long story short... downtown is safe, you'll be good. Start venturing out into the outer areas east/southeast and you'll wish you hadn't. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be driving to the hotel, sleeping and getting the heck out of town as soon as the PEPC is over.

It is almost impossible to carry concealed in Calfornia, legally. Unless you are a cop.

you could always carry concealed. i don't know the laws there though. but, i ALWAYS carry concealed, legally. i don't worry about that stuff because i always feel confident i can protect myself. of course if a firefight breaks out with 10 gang bangers your screwed anyway.

i swear i would take out at least 5 before they got me.

Good luck inside a Federal building...

Back