Sad Day for Aviation

As much as I love to watch the Concorde, I am watching this live broadcast with so much sadness. I cant believe how far ahead of its time this great aircraft was.

Sad day
frown.gif

A new era awaits us... A slower one

One of the benefits of my new job is that I get to talk to people who have been working in aviation since before I was born.

They said that Concorde was likely the last airplane of its type. It was a dream that they decided to design and build and justify later.

It's all business now, and if you can't cost justify something, it gets killed. For example, back in the day, the Sonic Cruiser would have been built and the execs at Boeing and the airlines would have found a way to justify it later. One exec they talked to said the aviation buff in him wants the Sonic Cruiser, but the businessman can't justify it.

It's really sad, in my view. Aviation to me has always represented man's quest to soar and now it's all dollars and cents. Or in the case of Concorde, all pounds and pence.

frown.gif

Folks lets face it. The market is just no longer primed for an SST like the concorde. Who wants to pay 11 grand to fly the cramped concorde for 3 hours, when you can make the same flight for a couple hundered bucks in 6 or 7 hours?! SERIOUSLY!!! It was a great airplane, but was really never a money maker, and just more of a status symbol. Plus, without the ability to go supersonic over land, the aircraft is really only good for a small segment of the market. Until something comes out which will not produce such violent sonic booms, everyone will just have to be happy with .85 mach.

Some bonehead was on the news talking about how he was rejoicing because of the concorde is out of service.

Lemme think, you move under the departure path of JFK and you're complaining about noise... Hmmm...

[ QUOTE ]
Lemme think, you move under the departure path of JFK and you're complaining about noise... Hmmm...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's something i never understood either Doug, kind of like moving to the beach and hating sand.

I don't think it's sad at all. It is and has been a beautiful plane... but things are moving forward and I believe that someday supersonic travel will be commonplace.

Being British - I am a big fan of Concorde. I have seen it many times, and to me it is like seeing an exotic car while driving, or the Red Arrows flying over head, or a mega yacht pulling into the harbour - It is just cool!

gal08.concorde.cry.ap.jpg

Virgin did this to the BA model Concorde outside LHR - I think it is quite amusing.

[ QUOTE ]
Until something comes out which will not produce such violent sonic booms

[/ QUOTE ]

There really is nothing wrong with the sonic boom - they did sonic boom testing over London for months while Concorde was on the drawing board - and there really was no problems found with it. I think this is a case of finding excuse to not to let it fly, as we can not compete with it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That is one of the Big problems going on now down in Stuart, FL (KSUA). The airport has been there for years and now that the area have become prime property the "Money Bags" are trying to close it down... It was there LOOONG before you were!

Back