Russels Aviation IFR Adventure..

youngflyer

I have been looking at this for my IFR training early this summer. It would end up being about the same price as my home airport, and it would seem to provide a lot of challenging approaches along with being fun!
http://ifradventures.com/
Anyone have any experience with this?

I have been looking at this for my IFR training early this summer. It would end up being about the same price as my home airport, and it would seem to provide a lot of challenging approaches along with being fun!
http://ifradventures.com/
Anyone have any experience with this?

Not with this school specifically, but I do think this is an excellent way to train.

The more IFR cross country you have the better. I encourage all of my students to make at least one long multi state cross country for the experience of it.

But looking at the price tag, you can get the same experience for far less.

Oh and PS, The DA40 is a POS mountain plane; especially in the summer.

The more IFR cross country you have the better. I encourage all of my students to make at least one long multi state cross country for the experience of it.

But looking at the price tag, you can get the same experience for far less.

Oh and PS, The DA40 is a POS mountain plane; especially in the summer.
Really? Could you give a link? I guess our CNY prices are inflated!

Really? Could you give a link? I guess our CNY prices are inflated!
Linky no, but The most a student ever paid for a trip for me and the plane was $3500 for 28 hours from Utah to Ohio and back.

That was in a DA40 G1000

Oh and that was a wet rate, those guys are charging a dry rate so you get to pay additionally for the fuel

I looked into doing the IFR Adventure, I think it beats putting around the local airport shooting approaches. Only thing is you also got to feed and house the cfii, and pay the examiner $400 bucks on top of that. Also, you will probably be wearing the hood most of the time you are flying over all the beautiful country. I didn't look into it much after I realized all of that. After all the negative stuff I just said, the adventure would add a little more excitement to the IFR ticket.

I looked into doing the IFR Adventure, I think it beats putting around the local airport shooting approaches. Only thing is you also got to feed and house the cfii, and pay the examiner $400 bucks on top of that. Also, you will probably be wearing the hood most of the time you are flying over all the beautiful country. I didn't look into it much after I realized all of that. After all the negative stuff I just said, the adventure would add a little more excitement to the IFR ticket.
you don't have to wear the hood if you get the actual, that is what I am always trying to accomplish on these trips.

Hey youngflyer,

if I were you I would use Mr bdhill1979 services. He's a real nice guy and a top notch instructor. I think he's even a Gold Seal CFI.

Either way, you don't get to see the country. :)

Which is why you are better off doing it at home, and heading out when the weather is at minimums. Guess what? When the weather is crappy, there are always going to be a bunch of CFIs sitting around because they can't take students up. That's the time to do IFR training. Call in sick to work.

You'll get more out of doing this in actual weather than you will under the hood. It isn't just the visibility, the bumps and thermals going through the clouds are important too. Knowing how to deal with that took me a while.

Honestly, the enroute part of IFR is not much different than flight following VFR. Approaches and holds are where you should spend 90% of your time training anyway. If you can fly an ILS to minimums, I'd like to think you can track a VOR in level flight (in an 8 mile wide airway).

No matter what, find an instructor that will fly in IMC, it seems like a lot of them will not. I wish that I would have had more experience in IMC than I was exposed to. :rawk:

No matter what, find an instructor that will fly in IMC, it seems like a lot of them will not. I wish that I would have had more experience in IMC than I was exposed to. :rawk:
I never understood that. At my Skool o' Flite, all the CFI's start buddying up and using our employee incentive rental time when the weather heads towards minimums. And most of the time I'd far rather teach in actual than under the hood.

Back