Running out of Money?

FloridaPilot

I came to Flight Safety with my Private and about 180 hours. I completed my Multi Engine Private, and started on my Instrument. I was talking to a former Flight Safety student, who now flys for a regional airline, and he was telling me the Regionals really pay attention to those applicants who were flight instructors at Flight Safety. So, I determined that I wanted to instruct at FS. However, after starting the Instrument course, I discovered how much money it was going to cost to get my Instrument at FS. So, I started looking around, and I found a place called Paris Air, on the same field as FS. The instructors are Flight Safety graduates, the planes are cleaner and better maintained, and the costs are about half as FS. The guy who owns the place also went to Flight Safety. So, if you are running out of money, this could be a better option for you, it was for me. I will go back and get my CFI at FS, but I am saving around $10,000 getting my Instrument and Commercial at Paris, same training, and no uniform.

Thats all well and good, but with the hiring situation the way it is at FSI, why would they hire someone who did half their training at a competing school (across the field no less!) over someone who did all of their training at FSI? They can afford to be realllly selective with instructor applicants right now. I would warn others not to do this if you really want to work at FSI.

[ QUOTE ]
So, I started looking around, and I found a place called Paris Air, on the same field as FS. The instructors are Flight Safety graduates, the planes are cleaner and better maintained, and the costs are about half as FS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to disagree with the statement that the aircraft at Paris Air are better maintained. Personally I feel you could search the seven seas and would be hard pressed to find a finer maintenance facility than the one at FlightSafety.

I don't have any personal experience w/ Paris air when it comes to cleanliness and maintenance, but I can't imagine an aircraft being much cleaner or well maintained than an FSI plane. Hardly a day goes by without seeing the cleaning crew out there washing and waxing an airplane.

I also came to FlightSafety w/ my Private (but only about 90 hrs). Before I came, I received a detailed quote of what it would cost and so far I am beating that quote by about $1,500. Did you receive the same thing? Did you spend more money than you thought on rent, food, etc?

I also agree that if you want to get on the list for instructing here, you have to complete the program here. In the past you could have gone the other route and gotten a job here, but those days are gone.

Dave

[ QUOTE ]
I will go back and get my CFI at FS, but I am saving around $10,000 getting my Instrument and Commercial at Paris, same training, and no uniform.

[/ QUOTE ]

"same training"? That's highly debatable.

I think you can save that much by doing the commercial/instrument with Paris- only if you do it in a single. I know they have a couple Seneca's but I doubt it's a huge savings over the Seminole cost. FSI does offer the course single engine as well if that's what you want to do. They won't, however, hire you if you don't have a Comm/Instr. Multi rating.

One other problem is the Sim ride portion of the interview. I have seen people have alot of trouble passing a frasca- seminole IFR check out to FSI standards/procedures without having gone thru the CIME course.

better maintained, huh?

Care to back that up? I've seen Paris instructors....they're always bumming around when we have the Friday cookouts looking for free food. I thought they were surf bums, but someone clued me in as to who they were.

chunk

If the Paris Air instructors are FSI alum,

I think the money they spent at FSI entitles them to a free burger, surfers or not!

I knew a lot of people who went to Paris Air for their SE add. I dont think that anything is wrong with the school.

I really don't think that FSI cares how much money you spent there when it comes to hiring, as long as you get your CFI there. I think that a place like Paris might be a better bet for a job anyway. Go with the money! It's the same rating.

BTW Paris also has the contract to ferry New Pipers.

I have no beef with Paris at all....rereading my post, I realize it may seem that way.

I'm just curious why the poster thinks the have better mx.

As to the question about the maintenance, I have checked out their planes, the interior and exterior, and their maintenance facility. So, I know what I am talking about. I suggest some of you posters do your research before you draw conclusions. I have also talked with all of their instructors,(FSI Graduates) and they are all professional. So before you start passing judgement, or making derogatory remarks, perhaps you should check them first. I am not against FSI . . . I just found someplace that can help me to achieve my goals, and to do it faster and cheaper.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes you can get your instrument in a single...it would save a considerable amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would only save about $5K. I considered that route, but rejected it because I'll have to get the multi time at some point, and the cost of getting the multi time later exceeds the differential cost of doing steps 4 &5 in the Seminole at FSI.

I am training in a single engine, and because I already have my multi-engine rating, I will take the instrument check ride in the multi. This was the best route for me.

Citationflyer,

Before you get all huffy, answer me this. What was the point of this post? When you post how much better Paris Air is in the FSI forum, what do you expect?

Don't be a dolt.

Citationflyer,
I agree with chunk, and besides isn’t this a forum where can all post our opinions? I personally believe that FSI has one of the preeminent maintenance facilities around. If you do go to Paris, see how many times you can ground an airplane for a missing screw or some other inconsequential anomaly. At FlightSafety, any thing that you report to maintenance is checked out and signed off before it is cleared to fly...period.

Paris Air is not a bad outfit. It basically reminds me any medium sized FBO that you can find at many decent sized airports around the country. I don't think I would recomend anyone moving down to FL to go to school there....
tongue.gif

Back