rookie gear

flyguy

As I've explained in other threads I've decided to put off flight training until I complete my degree and then train full time. I will be graduating in a few weeks and the plan is to begin PPL training shortly after. I'm starting to slowly aqcuire gear so that I won't have to spend a ton of $$ all at once on top of flight training. What all does a rookie need? I've already got a headset. I'm thinking next I should get a flight bag (so I have a place to store the headset). I was looking at flight bags on some online pilot shops and I noticed that they are availabe in a variety of sizes. How big a flight bag would I need for starters, and what else should I think about getting?

Here are some suggestions that come to mind:

- an electronic E6B computer
- Foggles or a hood for instrument training
- a knee board
- current FAR/AIM book

Browse through Sporty's. They've got all sorts of gear you may or may not need!

In fact, on the subject of kneeboards, I'd just run out to Staples and purchase a clear, plastic clip board.

El cheapo.

I had a fancy schmancy pilot kneeboard and used about 1% of the information printed on it.

I'd say for now just get some books and start studying. That will help far more than having a flight bag just kind of hanging around for a few weeks. Once you have your first lesson you'll have a much better idea of what will work and what won't. As for not wanting to spend all that money at once, well you're going to spend it no matter what, so just hold on to it until you start.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say for now just get some books and start studying. That will help far more than having a flight bag just kind of hanging around for a few weeks. Once you have your first lesson you'll have a much better idea of what will work and what won't. As for not wanting to spend all that money at once, well you're going to spend it no matter what, so just hold on to it until you start.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. So other than FAR/AIM what books do you recommend?

I think I'll take Ed's advice and just start reading for now, but I would like to at least get a flight bag. What size should I be looking at?

everyone seems to like the skyhigh bag. there is a thread about it somewhere. As for me, my mom brought home a small duffle bag that she got for free at the bank. I think I am going to use that as my flight bag. At least for now.

-Brian

I agree with Ed go for the books you will need. As far as a flight bag goes, just get a back pack, they work great. Knee board go with what Doug says. There is a premium in the aviation world (heck if you can afford to spend $100+ an hour to fly the think you will pay $$ for something with a different wrapping that says aviation on it).

As for the books, I would call the flight school you are thinking of going with speak to an instructor, ask them what book the PPL students need, and buy those ones.

I'm using a Nike duffle for my flight bag right now. My Mom originally got it for me so I could put my stuff for swim team in it but I quickly realized it's the perfect size for a flight bag. I suggest you try something similar.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

Here's the thing about using a gym bag or your school backpack for your flying stuff: no padding. After dropping six bones on an ANR headset, I wasn't about to carry it in anything that wasn't padded enough to protect my investment. I bought a camcorder case at Best Buy and that worked pretty well, but as time went by, I ended up needing to carry more stuff. I hadn't bought a "flight bag" yet, so I ended up hauling the camcorder case and a small organizer bag from REI. The straw that broke the camel's back was an XC flight I made up to central California, I ended up carrying those two bags and a soft-sided briefcase because I needed more room. Hauling three separate bags around had gotten ridiculous, so I decided I needed a bag to carry it all.

My suggestion is that you make a list of everything you think you need for an XC flight, collect it all in a pile to give you an idea of how much bag capacity you need, then go check out bags and decide from there. In my case, however, the two "starter bags" I bought--the camcorder bag and the REI organizer--cost more than the Sky High bag did, so rather than going about it piecemeal on the basis of not needing to carry much stuff on local training flights as a student, go for a reasonably-sized bag that will see you through your training and beyond.

Read "Stick and Rudder", it is a great book. It starts off with the most important thing in flying, angle of attack.

Buy it from Amazon and help Doug.

I reaaly like the Gleim products. I'm using the test prep for the CFI and wish I would have used them for my previous ratings. You can order those at amazon as well.

Back