Rockwell B-1B Lancer crash at KRCA

I don’t think they ever really flew them the same way.

When you read accounts of their F14 usage in the Iran/Iraq war they seem to be doing profiles of long range missile truck almost like something the ADC did with the F106.

I think they view it more as a mission node directing the fight from distance pushing less capable assets like 4/5s rather than a true fighter.

They used them both strategically as well as tactically, from both an airborne AWACS of sorts, to a BVR killer, with some WVR mixed in. The Iranians, early on, only had AIM-54 and gun, and shortly thereafter got AIM-9s tied in. Combo of preservation of the asset as well as of the capability risk-wise. But they’ve flown many hours on their jets and have been able to stretch the TF30 life well, with a little more babying of them indeed.

Impressive what they have done with their Tomcat fleet, much less their Phantom fleet, in terms of maintenance and upgrades. Both by their own doing, as well as with our and others’ help. :)

I didn't say any of it was or is common, I just said the writers/producers took pieces of several different real incidents and blended them into a dramatic, fictitious scene for the big screen. Every part of that story actually happened, they just didn't all happen at the same time. When I was 15 watching that movie I thought to my 15 year old self "Who would want to fly in the back seat of an F-14?". So I'm a mechanic on shore. The effect for recruitment was off the charts. I was an old fart at 5, I thought "Nope". I'm entirely uncertain whether or not I made the right choice.

I was just providing additional info, not trying to put words in your mouth :)

Was based on a real event wasn't it?
If “based” means that there is a plane nicknamed “Tomcat”, the Navy operated them, there were two crew members, there is a school nicknamed “Top Gun”, and there are actually blondes with blue eyes in California, then yes it was totally real!

If “based” means that there is a plane nicknamed “Tomcat”, the Navy operated them, there were two crew members, there is a school nicknamed “Top Gun”, and there are actually blondes with blue eyes in California, then yes it was totally real!
There's still blondes with blue eyes here, don't worry.

Back