RIP, Colonel

That he did. Read both his books and they were really well written, could sense the frustration of being forced to fly daily missions that were worthless in objective, and only managed to get fellow fighter pilots killed or made POWs.

Speaking of books, reading Robin Olds memoir, I was surprised to read how much of a disappointment Chappie James was as an officer. Wanting to court martial the two F-4 crews involved in the "Pardo's Push" event, until Olds was able to return from leave quickly to quash that.

I loved reading Thud Ridge as a kid, although learning some of the "differing opinions" about Broughton later on in life (once I was a River Rat) changed how I view him.

I much prefer Olds, although having personally met Olds and spent some time with him influences that opinion. Broughton is more like Steve Ritchie and Chuck Yeager, while Olds is more like Bob Hoover.

I loved reading Thud Ridge as a kid, although learning some of the "differing opinions" about Broughton later on in life (once I was a River Rat) changed how I view him.

I much prefer Olds, although having personally met Olds and spent some time with him influences that opinion. Broughton is more like Steve Ritchie and Chuck Yeager, while Olds is more like Bob Hoover.
I would take Hoover over Yeager any day of the week. That man is a class act 100%. Never met Olds, but I know alot of people who know him well and he seems the same way. His book was amazing.

Back