Ride along programs?

deek

So flying out of AXH means I get to chat with a few PHI chopper crews stopping for go-go juice. I asked the flight nurse if they have a ride-along program and she hands me her business card and says to email for the paper work (waiver form i'm guessing). Ask and ye shall receive. So this got me thinking to ask if anyone else has a ride along program, hopefully more so in airplanes. I've been time building for my comm and I've been pretty isolated to C-152s and PA-28s just buzzin around, I'd like to see how the big boys do it (anything bigger than a PA-28 to me is big at this point) and what it's really like in a professional cockpit and on a real trip. If anyone knows of any programs, specifically around the Houston area, that would be great. Not looking to log time of course, just to observe.

For Airlines, nope. I dont know how its was prior to 9/11. But I know that in a post 9/11 world the flight deck is off limits to most. Which is unfortunate as it would be amazing to be able to show my friends and family what it is that I get to experience all the time.

I figured airlines would be off limits, but do the same regs apply to corporate jets? There is Western Airways based out of Sugarland, TX that I know has some king airs and some jets, I wonder if I can hop a jumpseat on a day trip or something.

Most corp. companies are very very strict about safety and security. I doubt that many will lend a jump seat unless you know somebody.

You also might want to check with police units. I know in Columbus they offered helicopter ride alongs.

Getting up with PD/State units is much more difficult then you would think. Most are very strict due to insurance. That's another one of those that it comes down to who you know. Hopefully they have a lot of brass on their uniform too.

I have wondered this myself. I got to jumpseat last year in a G4 but that was only because I did an internship with the company. I think it would be hard even if you did know someone.

If you can secure at internship an an airline, you might be given jumpseat authorization.

Another idea might be to find/get to know someone in an airline's training program, and see if you can observe a simulator session.

If all else fails, you could buy one of those "from the cockpit" videos. It would at least give you an idea of what goes on.

Getting up with PD/State units is much more difficult then you would think. Most are very strict due to insurance. That's another one of those that it comes down to who you know. Hopefully they have a lot of brass on their uniform too.

I gather that some departments are more strict about that than others. I personally never went for a ride-along, but I have friends who did. It's entirely possible that being students in the local aviation program held some influence.

I know it wasn't so much the who we knew when we got our foot in the door, but it might have well been the who we were. :D

Get to know as many pilots as possible! Talk to everyone that comes and goes. I got a job at my airport working the line and it has really helped getting to know the pilots. After a while, they have started asking me to fly along with them. Now I fly 4-5 times a month on a CJ3 and Citation II. They've gotten to know me well and its bettered my chances of getting a corporate job in the area. My advice, meet and greet every chance you get!

For Airlines, nope. I dont know how its was prior to 9/11. But I know that in a post 9/11 world the flight deck is off limits to most. Which is unfortunate as it would be amazing to be able to show my friends and family what it is that I get to experience all the time.

you mean you cant show them the USA today sports section from your couch at home? hahah

you mean you cant show them the USA today sports section from your couch at home? hahah

Company has been going nuts in the past 11 days about sterile cockpit, Ill let you figure out why.

So on that note Ill say, no, my instrument scan and monitoring of company frequency and 121.5 means that Im far too busy to do anything else.

Back