reverse high speeds - need atc approval?

It's arguable. The only AIM reference says "thou shalt not reverse course on a runway without ATC approval." Depending on the size of the airplane, and the exact reverse exit, you might not need to reverse course on the runway.

It's arguable. The only AIM reference says "thou shalt not reverse course on a runway without ATC approval." Depending on the size of the airplane, and the exact reverse exit, you might not need to reverse course on the runway.
I know at Syracuse, the Jetblue pilots almost always take the reverse high speed, and they always ask ATC. I guess they dont have too though.

do you mean a 180 on the runway to exit at a taxiway you missed/passed? If thats what you mean then you NEED to ask. We base runway separation on your roll out, if you turn around and taxi against the flow then our separation is out the window.

do you mean a 180 on the runway to exit at a taxiway you missed/passed? If thats what you mean then you NEED to ask. We base runway separation on your roll out, if you turn around and taxi against the flow then our separation is out the window.

No, he is talking about a high speed taxiway say for runway 18 when you just landed on 36. You have to make more than a 90 degree turn to exit there, not really turn around on the runway.

Do you need it or is it just nice to ask?

Lemme guess. CLT?

I got a number to call about a month ago for taking a reverse high speed there. Got chewed out for not asking permission, yet I've done it numerous times in DTW and MEM without issue. I was under the impression since it's not part of the runway, you're good. My instructions from tower were "Left turn off, contact ground." Well, I turned left on the reverse high speed and ground was freaking out when my FO called 'em. In almost 3 years of 121 flying and numerous reverse high speeds without permission, that was the first time I'd had someone tell me I needed permission. The FO I was with was actually a year senior to me, and he was caught off guard, too.

24r in LAX is also pretty common,and gets alot of reverse high speed usage. I think in Canada it is very very not cool (or allowed).

I have no specific knowledge of a reg saying "not allowed" but I've always been shy about taking one without asking first.

No, he is talking about a high speed taxiway say for runway 18 when you just landed on 36. You have to make more than a 90 degree turn to exit there, not really turn around on the runway.
ah, I understand.

I have never been at a tower/airport with a highspeed taxiway but Ive never seen anything in ATC regs saying you cant do it.

Yeah I'm thinking of 24R at LAX but really any reverse high speed. If the radios are busy but you have the exit made, do you need to take the forward high speed or can you just take the one you want, the reverse?

I guess I'd probably just take the forward if it's a CYA thing.

On my Fed ride, I told Danny I was planning to do it just prior to the tower auto-authorizing it. Our FAA guy (Robert?) said that it required clearance from the tower. On a later trip I queried the gal and she said I don't need permission from her as far as she was concerned, and I think LAX expects you are going to use Y when able. Generally they automatically give it to you, but when I can't get clarification, I don't do it.

Missed seeing you and Danielle Sunday, brother:)

ah, I understand.

I have never been at a tower/airport with a highspeed taxiway but Ive never seen anything in ATC regs saying you cant do it.

Same here. As long as you don't have to reverse direction to get it, then I don't see a problem with it. The reverse highspeed I got off on was a 90 degree join with the runway, then it angled off. As far as clearing the runway, it wouldn't have been any different turning on a straight crossing taxiiway, but then again CLT is kinda weird for us anyway. That same flight I got "Flagship, do you need help? Your gate is right in front of you" from ramp control. I had to remind the guy there was a 757 crossing right in front of me, hence the reason I was stopped.

That same flight I got "Flagship, do you need help? Your gate is right in front of you" from ramp control. I had to remind the guy there was a 757 crossing right in front of me, hence the reason I was stopped.

That's because CLT ramp is probably the most messed up place in the world.

I think asking is the right choice here. If nothing else it's CYA and ensures that you are complying with a controller's expectations.

Thanks Bumblebee yeah it would have been great to stay both nights we had planned; we both would have been royally screwed the way the loads were though.

In LA I'd guess that tower pretty much expects us to do it clearance or not... just had never heard that you needed a clearance either.

If it were Chuck Norris, the high speed would just change directions prior to any altercations.

... great mustache.

-mini

I always just tell ATC I'm taking the reverse as we do it. ("On the reverse") Telling is easier than asking for both parties and while there may not be a hard and fast rule requiring permission I think ATC likes to know anyway and they've come to expect being informed if you take the reverse, at least where I fly.

I always just tell ATC I'm taking the reverse as we do it. ("On the reverse") Telling is easier than asking for both parties and while there may not be a hard and fast rule requiring permission I think ATC likes to know anyway and they've come to expect being informed if you take the reverse, at least where I fly.

Good luck trying to do that with them telling someone to position and hold while there's a guy on short final and another 4 behind him. That might work in slower airspaces, but the places that get 'em and get 'em out fast, you're either gonna get yelled at for taking the reverse or for clogging up the frequency. Then again, maybe I just have a chip on my shoulder b/c every time I've been into CLT, ATC has been a collection of dicks.

Back