Returning to the fold and next steps

awbmof

Its been a long time since I last posted on jetcareers, been flying for fun over the last seven years while working a corporate cube dwelling job, enduring a layoff, getting recalled, and being thrust into the role of caregiver. Through all of my experiences good and bad, I've still kept the desire to fly professionally one day.

So far, I have earned my Commercial, Instrument, and Dispatch tickets accompanied by 515 hours total time (with all but the CC, ME and total time requirements met for the ATP) while passing the ATP written last July for good measure. Currently, I am studying for the FOI and CFI initial written tests and plan on actively training after passing both exams. Plus I have a couple of non-aviation, 4-year degrees and a couple of aviation 2 year degrees, with minimal debt obligations.

In posting here, I am trying to determine my next steps after getting my CFI. Initially, I plan to keep my day job until at least December 2015 (and instruct part-time) to cushion my retirement savings and cash reserves for a possible career change. I would like to fly for a legacy as my long term goal, but at 34 and being raised in the industry, I am under no illusion of the myriad of events and luck that would have to transpire for this outcome. Besides, I'll think about where I want to apply (regional, legacy or other) when I get to that point.

Where I am looking for help is building experience before the ATP practical cutoff in July 2016. I look forward to instructing but should I just go ahead and make the jump to full-time ASAP (before December 2015) after completing my CFI certs to get to 135 or ATP minimums?, Keep the job, CFI part time and buy an airplane to fly when not instructing until I hit ATP mins?

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance on how to build my experience with in the next two years. Is there a possibility I've overlooked?

Thanks,

Andrew

I would suggest accruing the time and obtaining your ATP as quickly as possible. Many airlines, including legacies, are beginning to hire or, at least, accept applications into their pool. I worked for Eagle, now Envoy, for 7 years. It was a good company to work for, besides the long upgrade time. Where do you live? I instructed at Flight Safety in Vero Beach FL. I was able to build 1500 TT in about 13 months. I worked 6 days/week and juggled up to 10 students, so it was a pain in the ass but worth it. You could begin to instruct then find a part 135 job somewhere. That way you could begin to build turbine time, possibly. There are plenty of jobs out there right now if you're willing to move around a bit. Hope this helps. Let me know if there's anything else.

As of this month, I can't remember seeing a better market for CFI's in the last 15 years. I would get the CFI knocked out, bite the bullet and start teaching. Getting another 1,000 hours in the next 18 months should not be hard, and I would expect there to be a ton of competition for anyone with ATP mins. Of course, things do change fast.

Thanks guys, I am planning on getting the FOI and CFI knowledge test out of the way in next couple of weeks. I live in the Seattle area, and would like to stay local (and employed) while working on my CFI cert and hopefully finish by the end of the year or do a CFI academy on an educational leave from work.

Afterwards, I'll see where things are at with the CFI job market, I do have the opportunity to instruct with my flying club (21 airplanes). I received all of my certs, except for Aircraft Dispatcher through the club over the last seven years, and they like to hire from within plus the students pay the CFI's directly with no kickbacks to the club. The lack of a light twin is the primary drawback, so I'd have to obtain multi-time from another source, so that might provide an incentive to relocate.

I like the idea of a 135 turbine job, and would jump at the chance to get the time and experience towards a 121 job. But being around aviation my entire life, I know this industry can change at the drop of hat. My dad always said his best career accomplishment was staying employed with the same airline for 38 years.

Back