Resumé Question

sixoneseven

JCers,

So, I'll hopefully be enrolled in the next class for the local Police Academy. With this in mind, I was going to start tweaking my resume. I'm unsure where to list my aviation credentials in a non-aviation related resume for future jobs in the Police field.

Would you guy's list it under "education" or leave that spot for formal education only? Maybe toss it under "skills/accomplishments" ?

I can see it going both ways. It most certainly is a skill and an accomplishment but at the same time, I do see it as an education too!

On the other hand, do I get to list the Police Academy under Education for my aviation resume? :buck:

I'd leave it off completely, unless you hope to get into the flight department.

I've missed something. If he's heading into the police academy shortly, seems to me you already have a job. If so, skills/accomplishments should include all aviation related accomplishments.

Additionally, simply informing the lead of the aviation department gets the ball started if you're interested in an aviation related law enforcement career.

I certainly would not leave it of as it shows an achievement and your capacity to undertake, understand and execute complex tasks. It should put you above the average crowd.

Skills/accomplishments/achievements (since that's what it is!!). I've conducted quite a few intereviews and when trying to get a feel for an applicant I'll look to this section for a conversation point ("I see you have ....... tell me about......yada yada yada"). If you are comfortable talking about it then put it on there.

I certainly would not leave it of as it shows an achievement and your capacity to undertake, understand and execute complex tasks. It should put you above the average crowd.

To me it's a mark of someone low in experience, because if the candidate actually had a relevant background, he'd be telling me about it rather than something I don't care about, something that instills no useful skills outside the particular industry.

Effective communication means leaving out the noise that obscures the information you truly want to convey.

Never caused a problem for me--and I have to submit a resume every time I get promoted (I am a Federal Fire Chief).

I put it in with all the other license's and certifications I possess. Show's that I can demonstrate ability with Federal standardization.

Back