Restricted Radiotelephone Permit

braidkid

I've seen that a restricted radiotelephone permit issued by the FCC is a requirement for some airlines.
Can someone please give me the scoop on this? How do I get it? How much does it cost? When
do you get this?
Thanks

Thanks a bunch...I think I've seen it required on domestic carriers such as skywest. I wonder if it
is required even for noninternational flights?

I believe it was once required for even domestic flights....hence, one of the R's in ARROW (required paperwork checklist...).

SkyWest isn't a domestic-only carrier; they serve Calgary for Delta. I'm sure they want the ability to send any pilot on that route. The permit used to be required for all pilots, as was a radio station license for the aircraft, but that's no longer the case for either. Now it's only required for international ops, by an international radio communications treaty.

I should have made that a little more clear...my bad. I meant domestic General Aviation flights....$100 hamburger flights.

That particular R in ARROW (which is no longer a requirement) referred to the aircraft's radio station license, which was normally kept with the airworthiness and registration certificates.

[ QUOTE ]
That particular R in ARROW (which is no longer a requirement) referred to the aircraft's radio station license, which was normally kept with the airworthiness and registration certificates.

[/ QUOTE ]

the specific difference is the Aircraft Station Lic, vs the Operator permit. (Fcc form 605-FRC)

You need a permit for commercial ops (at least the PIC does)and you do need an aircraft station Lic for GA international. I don;t know if you ned an oiperatos permit for GA intl. the aircraft needs the staion lic. (at least that is my interpertation of the rules).

I just got mine two weeks ago. It costs $50 and there are about four pages to the application. You need a law degree to figure out the damn thing! It is all written in leagl-ese and codes. Once you figure it out though, it doesn't take long to fill it out.

Isnt there a test you have to take? It cant be as easy as fill out the paperwork and send in a $50 check and its done.

Yes, it really is that easy, no knowledge test to take. You can also get one online from the FCC, at fcc.gov, click on Universal Licensing System (ULS). You have to get an FCC registration number first (FRN) then use the CORES system to apply for the permit. You can even pay the fee online using a credit card. It arrives in your mailbox in about two weeks. I have several FCC licenses and this makes it very easy to manage and renew them. The paper application is a beast of legalese as described above.

I don't advise doing this process over a dialup or other slow connection-the ULS is a Java app, and when you first use it it downloads the app as well as the Java runtime environment. It took 2-3 minutes over DSL, so it's a lot of data.

Back